• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

unusual amount of grouper in central med around malta this summer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
this summer especialy in august there is a unusuall amount of grouper around malta i was just wondering if any med spearos have been experiencing thje same

I wish to say same but i am still trying to find usual ones...:D

yes enjoy 20 kg grouper i think its a dusky but the colouring is a bit strange for a dusky

I hunted a 3kg grouper this summer but could not observed large activity at the Turkish shores of both Med and Eagean sea

I shot a 15-20 kilo one but it got away.20 mm bands and 6.3mm shaft not powerful enough to go through its thick skull.

Well,

Sorry boys i am bit late coz i had to buy new internet connection.
Three days ago i went spearfishing with 60 years old guy. He is spearing more than 40 years. He is kind person and my OMER equipment provider:D .

We met morning at 7 am in the diving spot. He knows i am a beginner and said we will not go deep today, probably 24-26 meter. I shocked, What 24-26 meter???? Anyway, we hang around only 15-16 meter. They hunt, and i made practice. I couldn't able to hunt 15-16 meter but i went bottom and up. Not bad for me hah ! ! !. Anyway there was no worthy fish. Somehow these days there is no fish in shallow waters, even spinefoots are gone :waterwork water temp is well over 33 degree. Anyway.... I got my weight belt and used it first time. It really helped lot. I felt more comfortable on the bottom and glide effortlessly in the water. I also tried dolphin kick with my gara 3000. It was like Rocket. My diving buddy tried BAT 30 fins. After the dive he said they are extremely powerfull but he tired while surface swimming. But it must be ok for me since i am double size compare to him and only 20 years old:D.Fortunatelly he shoot 12-15 kg grouper while heading out. Its very amazing, it was only 14 meter of water. In here you have to go 30+ to find that kind of fish.

hi

40 years is a heck of a lot of experience, he probably has scouted the area over many years and knows where to find fish in shallower water then you might expect.

cheers

May be....

But he is saying that generally worthy fishes are stay in deeper waters.

maltasperaro, I had read that spearfishing was forbidden in Malta??
or forbidden only for foreigners?

it is not forbidden if you are ever coming to malta let me know and i will take you on my boat that goes to everyone on this forum

thanx maltaspaearo,

there are often cheap flights to malta, so i think about your island for next epic spearfishing holidays.

hello, i have recently moved to malta, bought myself a speargun and am now itching to get started. only problem i am having is a lack of decent size fish. could any one advise where a good place to go is that is accessable from the shore.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT