• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Upside down Valvalva equalisation causing nausea and vomiting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Seefree

Aug 22, 2021
TLDR; Can't Valsalva equalise upside down, and I throw up when I try to force it. Learned Fresnel and all good.

I experienced this recently and couldn't find any references to it online, so I'm just putting it out there in case anyone else ever experiences the same.

I've always used the Valsalva technique while scuba diving etc but since picking up freediving I realised I couldn't do it upside down. This seems to be rare but not unheard of, and I found some posts discussing it on this forum (something about flappy eustachian tubes).

I recently did the AIDA 2 course and my instructor was insistent that it was possible to Valsalva upside down, so even though it has never worked for me before I gave it a solid attempt during a duck dive. Sure enough it didn't work, but I suddenly felt super nauseous in my stomach and wanted to throw up. I took a break and drank water and tried again, staying inverted for a while at 2-3m trying to equalise with Valsalva, but no luck, and this time the nausea hit me so hard that I threw up a few times while hanging onto the buoy. End of the session.

All in all it was a rough experience, and the nausea stuck with me for several hours. I'm completely comfortable in the water and have never been nauseous like this, and sea conditions were really calm. The nausea was 100% caused by trying to force the Valsalva upside down.

Anyway, it was good incentive to learn the Fresnel, so I watched a video on YouTube and got it down within a day or two. Next session in the water I was equalising with no problems and hit 20m for my AIDA 2!

Provide first aid. As the leader of the expedition, it is your responsibility to take care of the injured diver during their journey. Be skeptical about traditional methods of first aid. Use common sense and don't try magic solutions. Remember, you can be held accountable. Ask the diver to sit down and calm him down during the procedure. Help him cope with dizziness, which can be very unpleasant and can cause discomfort for you and the diver. Valsalval's head and movements (such as lifting heavy objects) can increase dizziness.

Provide first aid. As the leader of the expedition, it is your responsibility to take care of the injured mylowes diver during their journey. Be skeptical about traditional methods of first aid. Use common sense and don't try magic solutions. Remember, you can be held accountable. Ask the diver to sit down and calm him down during the mykohlscharge procedure. Help him cope with dizziness, which can be very unpleasant and can cause discomfort for you and the diver. Valsalval's head and movements (such as lifting heavy objects) can increase dizziness.
I hope this had helped you.

Turned out I had a PFO (hole in the heart) that was causing a neural bend. Essentially blood with micro bubbles should go from your heart to your lungs where most of the bubbles are removed, then back to the heart and then on to the head. Some of my blood was getting shunted between heart chambers without being Speed Test cleaned up - so bubbles were hitting my brain.
WOW!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT