• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

urchins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Cheers guys. It would only be for a few hours until I got home. Temperature shouldn't be a problem with Scotlands wonderful weather. :waterwork

hello folks. Good old friend of mine have shown me an interesting way of eating urchins. He simply throw them on top of hot coals or slow burning fire and lets them cook there until needles are burnt almost all the way to the shell. Then he rolls them out of fire, let them cool some and crack them open. Then he would simply pick away edible parts through all the dirt and minced grass or whatever is that inside them urchins. Can't say this is the best way, but there is something about it, roe is only partially cooked, still has original flavour and also there is added flavor from smoke and all the guts. Also, this way roe cannot be really cleaned perfectly and some "greens" will be eaten along, but it kind of adds to the experience I would say.

I really love urchins. They generally don't have a lot of meat on them but well worth the effort to get it off. Grilling is always an option but popping them into the oven is great too. Since they live on the street, there's really no family to speak of looking for them. I find gathering them at night, when they're huddled in a corner to be the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trelawney
Gosh, that looks really good. One of those, a couple of calamari rings, a slice of baguette and some good olive oil and you'd have a really first rate antipasto.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I notice that nobody has mentioned that Urchins are seasonal. They have a set spawning point during the year, which differs between species, and they are best consumed shortly before this spawn point.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I notice that nobody has mentioned that Urchins are seasonal. They have a set spawning point during the year, which differs between species, and they are best consumed shortly before this spawn point.
you can eat them year around, the yield will be different, but still very edible. Where I am, the best season for urchins is end of the summer, or right now, probably until early spring. Gonads are large and sweet right now, with bright color.

I tried deep frying them not long ago. Did not bother with batter, simply dipped the tongues into the oil for about 15- 20 seconds. Very delicate texture, so you would need a fine mesh dipper, like this one
610hVvlFIrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and slices of dark rye bread, lightly roasted in butter, ready nearby. The killer recipe. Just like that, quick 5 minute canapé fix. Add a glass of wine, even if you are not drinker. Or two.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT