• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Urge to breath final meters DYN No Fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

X-Fins

www.xfins.es
Dec 28, 2004
Hi:

When i,m doing DYN without Fins I feel the necessity to breath very quickly in the last meters. Let me explain me more, I can do 35 mts very comfortable, I feel as if i can do a lot of additional meters but when I get 40 mts it´s impossible to follow to swimn. The urge to breath appear very strong in a very short period of time. That doesn't happen me with fins, with fins the "urge to breath" appear slowly and can be controlled.

I´m a good swimmer and i´ve been training along my life, so look me that isn´t a style and technique problem.

I would like to know if someone feel the same sensation.

Regards, Luis

I'm a beginner and I also find it hard in the last few metres, but I really just take it as a good way to measure my capacity. The other day, for example, after doing 40m (my usual, casual effort - my PB is 50m) I realized that I had no impulse to stop, so I turned around and did another 20m. The next day, when I went to the pool, it was back to normal, however.

I can't compare with fins, though, as I never use my fins in the pool, only when I'm out with the snorkel looking at fish etc.

I'm sure someone with more experience will comment soon enough.

Gordon.

I haven't spent much time on DNF lately as i've been concentrating on my monofin I got a couple of months ago. However I gave DNF a go on Tuesday night (setting a new PB I might add :) ) and did notice some differences in the way I feel during a DNF compared to using fins.

When I use fins things feel like they're happening quickly, i'm kicking quite often and I don't really notice the onset of contractions until they are quite significant.
With no fins, things feel a lot slower, you have periods in the glide where your body is still and quiet, and as such I tend to notice things a lot more. My previous PB was 64m and since then i've never broke 50m again because the urge to breath feels too significant. On Tuesday night I got to 50m and felt this way again, but turned and kept going and simply pushed through it. It was a decision in my head not to panic, it was just that I could "hear" my body more clearly, whereas with fins the noise and distraction lets me push through this initial period.

And by 83m my body told me to stop, so I complied :D

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: Pablo
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT