• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Use of ground bait to attract fish while spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jul 22, 2021
I was thinking of using ground bait to attract fish while spearfishing. More specifically a dough-like mixture of corn flour and oatmeal. What do you think? Will it work?

Same thought occurred to me. But instead of using a mix of dried ground bait and water (which I already had for freshwater angling) I decided to gut any fish I catch at sea. Usually that works quite well, provided conditions allow.

It chums the parts of the fish that are ultimately discarded and reduces the size and weight of caught fish

Same thought occurred to me. But instead of using a mix of dried ground bait and water (which I already had for freshwater angling) I decided to gut any fish I catch at sea. Usually that works quite well, provided conditions allow.

It chums the parts of the fish that are ultimately discarded and reduces the size and weight of caught fish
Another idea would be to break sea urchins. Fish go nuts for their eggs!!!

I think bait like that would attract fish that would in turn attract fish big enough to shoot.

Reactions: Mr. X
I have been gutting and scaling fish as well for the past few years usually before I exit the water though I wouldn't normally wait around to see if it brings in other fish. Sometimes if I bring my catch home without gutting I collect the guts etc into a bag and put them in the freezer to be brought back to the sea during my next outing, I do this mainly because the guts will stink up the bin during warm weather and our bin collection is every two weeks but the added benefit is that nothing goes to waste.

Use the whole fish too and keep the pieces small. If it’s a fish you won’t eat knock all the scales off in the water. They flutter down and really get attention. Keep chunks as small as possible to prevent sharks eating them. If just using fish frames, scrape as much neat off as possible and then start breaking off the bones. The commotion alone of you doing this and your knife flashing will bring something out.

Sharks love burley so keep pieces small.

I have been gutting and scaling fish as well for the past few years usually before I exit the water though I wouldn't normally wait around to see if it brings in other fish. Sometimes if I bring my catch home without gutting I collect the guts etc into a bag and put them in the freezer to be brought back to the sea during my next outing, I do this mainly because the guts will stink up the bin during warm weather and our bin collection is every two weeks but the added benefit is that nothing goes to waste.
I used to freeze heads and guts, still do sometimes. Good for lobster pots too.

Frozen bait might be a long term investment though: I once saw a huge fish at the spot I had dumped my frozen chum over the last 6 months or so. Not sure what the fish was, but about 4' long and too quick for surprised me with my brand new small speargun! Should have taken a shot, it was close enough.

Reactions: Derekn
Could have been a bull huss, I see plenty of dogfish where I hunt especially in early summer.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT