• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Used Fins - What to Stay Away From

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PakiBoy

Jul 3, 2017
Aloha fam - I'm looking at upgrading from plastic blades to a fiberglass composite. I'm a 100% shore dive spearo, so I kinda feel like carbon is out.

I've seen more than a few fiberglass blades for sale at MUCH better prices than new, wondering if there is a reason why before actually pulling the trigger......

specifically Dive-R's. Their real popular among the spearo's here in Hawaii due to their durability (?) or maybe their fashion (the tako print is MEAN) and I've seen a few on Craigslist for about half the sticker price.

mahalo Nui Loa,
PakiBoy

Reactions: Diversity and Mr. X
Yes DiveR fins look cool. Not aware of any problems. You might want to ask the sellers why they are selling. They may have given up spearing or need cash or might have decided to upgrade to carbon or downgrade to plastics or maybe don't fit well. But, yes, they might be having problems with them or figured they have worn somehow, lost some spring perhaps?

I expect they are probably ok. Buying fins is always a bit tricky, even from a store, you really need to do a few hours diving to really get to know them. Buyer beware ;)

Last edited:
I think they're selling them because switching to carbons. Probably you'll do the same eventually.

If you swim a lot, get soft blades.

Reactions: Diversity
Aloha fam - I'm looking at upgrading from plastic blades to a fiberglass composite. I'm a 100% shore dive spearo, so I kinda feel like carbon is out.

I've seen more than a few fiberglass blades for sale at MUCH better prices than new, wondering if there is a reason why before actually pulling the trigger......

specifically Dive-R's. Their real popular among the spearo's here in Hawaii due to their durability (?) or maybe their fashion (the tako print is MEAN) and I've seen a few on Craigslist for about half the sticker price.

mahalo Nui Loa,
PakiBoy
People sell here in Hawaii for numerous reasons, fiberglass, carbon, or plastic. Each one has their merits, but I haven't any of my carbons be an issue for me shore diving. I take more care in my carbons, but I've been out in rough stuff and it's pulled me through.

As Mr. X pointed out, it's not easy finding the fins you want. I just went though almost a 6 month journey buying and feeling different fins (spent too much on shipping back). Unlike new cars, a lot of places won't let you test it out (with refund). Which I can see, but it makes it frustrating.

I think fiberglass is more durable than carbons. It's just denser/heavier. Some of my friends swear by them, but most of my buddies run carbons and I haven't heard of any of them breaking. Best on finding your fins.

I watched some video on spearing in Hawaii. Looked like long or awkward walk-ins can be part of the experience. It occurs to me that the light weight of carbon blades could be a benefit if you have to carry your fins far. Just a thought.

Reactions: arca_tern
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT