• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Using a line slider spring with bungee?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fibonacci

Jan 16, 2016
I'm just setting up my newly overhauled Medisten (thanks to Edosub!), which I will rig with a 70cm 17-4 PH shaft, a Devotosub 'Ricciola' tricuspid tip and the usual inline rubber bungee.

This got me thinking... is the spring that traditionally sits between the guide ring and line slider still required with an in-line bungee?

Or does it help soften the initial impact with the guide ring/endcap flange and prevent the plastic line sliders from distorting or shattering?
Those Devotosub stainless sliders look pretty good... uh-oh I can see another order looming ;)

Devotosub Ricciola 9mm Tricuspid Tip.PNG Devotosub INOX Line Sliders.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar
First thing I do when I get new spears is to chuck that spring, in case it's even shipped with one. E.g. the newer Devoto and Sigalsub shafts I've received were not. Also, I don't really use the supplied sliders but instead I change to Tomba sliders or recently UBL ones though the latter needs special shaft ends and pistons, too.
I have never busted a slider so perhaps springs aren't really necessary any longer.

Last edited:
First thing I do when I get new spears is to chuck that spring, in case it's even shipped with one. E.g. the newer Devoto and Sigalsub shafts I've received were not. Also, I don't really use the supplied sliders but instead I change to Tomba sliders or recently UBL ones though the latter needs special shaft ends and pistons, too.
I have never busted a slider so perhaps springs aren't really necessary any longer.

Just back from the far south coast of NSW where I dived pretty much every day...

I was using a Medisten 70 with a new Salvimar hydroported muzzle and an older Sten Competition (recently re-released as the Jet 70) with a Jet muzzle.

Much preferred the pointability and smoothness on firing of the Medisten 70... those huge ports make a real difference!
Salvimar Hydroport Muzzle.jpg

Anyway...

Even on low power the spear and line slider punched straight through a Drummer 80% of the time, leading to some line tangles as it thrashed and dived under a rock :(
So I will try adding a softer 1.2mm wire dia spring to see if it buffers the slider when it hits the skin of the fish...

Very happy with the Salvimar sliders otherwise!
Salvimar Line Slider.jpg

Reactions: Diving Gecko
I remember seeing an Italian web page where they list different performance mods you can make - and order them by gains achieved vs. the effort put into the mod. Dremeling out your standard muzzle's water evacuation holes was def on that list and might have been pretty high up.

Yes I must admit being a little dubious about such gains just from muzzle mods but was able to test both guns at 18 BAR, same barrel length one with a standard Mares muzzle vs the upgraded Salvimar one.
BIG difference on firing... smoother with much less muzzle flip.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT