• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Using pneumatic spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dannyboy001

Jul 1, 2022
Hi everyone

I'm new here, thanks for all of the useful info I read on the threads.
I would say I am pretty inexperienced compared to everyone on here and have only been spearfishing on my own.
I am hoping to meet other people and further develop hence the below question...

Sorry if this question has already been covered:
I don't want to start a debate as to whether pneumatic or band guns are better but for a few situational reasons I have decided to get a pneumatic gun.

I have previously used both both pneumatic and band spearguns - with bands you can see quite clearly when it is not loaded.
Although the user of a pneumatic speargun should know whether it is loaded - from my experience with shooting rifles and shotguns it is good etiquette to be able to demonstrate safety to other people around you.

I have been in very close proximity to 2 separate incidents of firearms being discharged unintentionally. These were both from people I would have never expected this to happen.
Both incidents involved semi-automatic guns where it is not as easy to see if the device is loaded compared to bolt action or break barrel. If I had known they had a loaded gun I would have hopefully reminded them that there was still a cartridge in the chamber before it was too late.
A red autosafe device in the chamber is sometimes used to demonstrate an unloaded firearm/shotgun.

I am not suggesting that anyone here is not safe - but I would really appreciate if anything similar is used with pneumatic guns, or whether having the spear shaft parallel outside the speargun is enough?
Likewise if I am being overly cautious please let me know - as I said I hope to meet other people - I have learnt several things through trial and error but I do not intend to learn anything safety related this way!

Dan

From what im seeing, at least with my seac asso 115, you can see its loaded if the shaft is in and really you would just know since its attached to the gun and you can see where the shaft is. Theres also a safety on the handle that i remember as "left for dead" as in to the left position and its ready to fire. As for firearms, and anything really that shoots projectiles, if you follow the 4 universal safety rules, there should never be a negligent discharge. #1 keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. #2 dont point at anything your not willing to destroy. #3 treat every firearm as if it was loaded. #4 be sure of your target and whats behind. Use these rules the same with your speargun and there wont be a problem, i hope that helps!

From what im seeing, at least with my seac asso 115, you can see its loaded if the shaft is in and really you would just know since its attached to the gun and you can see where the shaft is. Theres also a safety on the handle that i remember as "left for dead" as in to the left position and its ready to fire. As for firearms, and anything really that shoots projectiles, if you follow the 4 universal safety rules, there should never be a negligent discharge. #1 keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. #2 dont point at anything your not willing to destroy. #3 treat every firearm as if it was loaded. #4 be sure of your target and whats behind. Use these rules the same with your speargun and there wont be a problem, i hope that helps!
Cheers, just wanted to check I wasnt missing anything.

Reactions: Jon305
If a spear is sticking out of a barrel a bit - the gun is loaded. Period. I never load my gun on land, I never get out of the water with a loaded gun. Sometimes I do have to go from a crowded pier and I am holding the spear in my hand while on land. When I get in I insert the spear into the gun without loading and only when I am away from any swimmers I load. In the presence of somebody else in the water next to me I point the gun down. Don't ask me about an exit wound in the palm of my hand :cool::p

Hi everyone

I'm new here, thanks for all of the useful info I read on the threads.
I would say I am pretty inexperienced compared to everyone on here and have only been spearfishing on my own.
I am hoping to meet other people and further develop hence the below question...

Sorry if this question has already been covered:
I don't want to start a debate as to whether pneumatic or band guns are better but for a few situational reasons I have decided to get a pneumatic gun.

I have previously used both both pneumatic and band spearguns - with bands you can see quite clearly when it is not loaded.
Although the user of a pneumatic speargun should know whether it is loaded - from my experience with shooting rifles and shotguns it is good etiquette to be able to demonstrate safety to other people around you.

I have been in very close proximity to 2 separate incidents of firearms being discharged unintentionally. These were both from people I would have never expected this to happen.
Both incidents involved semi-automatic guns where it is not as easy to see if the device is loaded compared to bolt action or break barrel. If I had known they had a loaded gun I would have hopefully reminded them that there was still a cartridge in the chamber before it was too late.
A red autosafe device in the chamber is sometimes used to demonstrate an unloaded firearm/shotgun.

I am not suggesting that anyone here is not safe - but I would really appreciate if anything similar is used with pneumatic guns, or whether having the spear shaft parallel outside the speargun is enough?
Likewise if I am being overly cautious please let me know - as I said I hope to meet other people - I have learnt several things through trial and error but I do not intend to learn anything safety related this way!

Dan
I do not really understand how it would be easier to see if a band gun is loaded.
With pneumatic guns if the shaft is in the gun, it is loaded. If not loaded the shaft is sunken, attached to the line. Out of the water the shaft most likely tied to the side of the barrel with a string.

With a band gun the shaft is always in the barrel, whether loaded or not.
With 2 bands, one loaded and one not, the gyn may appear unloaded to someone distracted.

In any case you should, never point the speargun in the direction of a dive buddy. If you do not see the bottom, just più t behind their float, opposite direction of where the buddy is moving.

As a safety measure, I do always carry the loaded speargun midway, grasping the shaft and rubber. In case of an accidental discharge, the shaft won't go through as it and the rubber were being held by my hand.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT