• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Utila/Roatan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
Anybody out there done any free diving in either of these two places? I'm considering a trip in Spring/06. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Connor

I've dove/freedove both places but wouldn't go back- neither would my wife. Lots of biting bugs and some pretty overfished reefs. I did get to dive with whalesharks on Utila, check out my user's gallery, but tat was the highlight. I couldn't believethe lack of fish on Utila- like an hour long dive without seeing anything bigger than my finger.

The one thing they have going for them is that they are cheap, once you get there. Otherwise I could think of many other places i would rather go back to- many of which you can reach with your own boat! :)

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I had the feeling that fish were pretty scarce, but didn't realize it was that bad. When were you there and how healthy were the reefs?

Connor

I was there in 2001 and the reefs in Roatan were ok, but no fish. The reefs in Utila were in pretty rough shape above 50', and just ok below that. I am not sure if they had gotten hit with a hurricane or had some kind of coral bleaching problem but it was pretty rough.

One of the best reefs I have ever seen was off of Puerto Rico. I have to admit to being a little surprised by this considering the amount of people on that island, but the reefs were realy noce- saw a few fish but not as many as in other places.

Ted told me you guys were looking at a few other places and I would recomend Bonaire- they even have a freediving operator on the island now.

Jon

Thanks Jon, check your pm's, I need to talk to you in more detail.

Connor

Hello !!
I was both on Utila and Roatan in may (whaleshark period) and i do not agree with Jon !
I spent a couple of weeks both freediving and scuba and found the reefs very nice and the life very dense, i couldn't tell u the species in english. There are very nice 20-30 m freedive spots right of the coast (2 wrecks at 17 and 30 m right out the bay in Utila, 5 minutes swimming and an immediate access to the reef in Roatan).
I would say that the main problem in the 2 locations is not the reef nor the fishes but the crowd, the very cheap rates (around 180 USD, less on Utila, for a 10 dives pack with scuba) brings massive international divers.
Still, i can tell i had good fun in and out the water.
At the time i was there you could freedive with UDC in Utila.
We have done most our freedives by ourselves after 4 days of scuba to check the right spots.

AA

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT