• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UW Hockey fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

crazyfrenchmen

CW = Crazy'n Wet
Oct 17, 2001
Hi,
i'm looking into buying some full foot fins for underwater hockey. The
mares avanti quattro have too slim foot pocket for my feet so i have to get
a 10-11 while my feet size is 9.5.
- Do somebody know if the Sporasub Cruise have larger foot pocket?
- Would making an incision in a 9.5 size mares fin like Terry Maas state in
his book could be better?
- They wont allow me to play with my green Escalpez FD fins because they are
too dangerous and do not allow enough maneuvrability , what about the
Picasso Spuma, does anyone know about thoose fins?
- Any comment about the Mares Volo Race Full Foot Fins
(http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfn
br=74444&prmenbr=946&cgrfnbr=956&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc)
- Any comment on the Beuchat Activa Full-Foot Fin, AquaLung Stratus Full
Foot Fins.
- What about v fins like the Oceanic Vortex.
(http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/propfins/review.shtml)

The main things i'm looking for would me acceleration and maneuvrability i
think.

Thanks in advance!!

Frank in frozen quebec!

My buddy Ted plays hockey in the Sporasub Cruise fins. They are the exact same fin as the Mares avanti quattro power- just a different name.
I use the Aqualung ( Technisub) Stratos and they seem a bit wide for my foot. They have been a nice hockey fin. They are stiffer than my old Avanti Hp's and short enough to turn quickly. If I had the cash I would probably move up to the Cruise- they aren't too narrow for me.
I don't know anything about the others that you mentioned.
I have seen people take a pair of esclapez fins and cu tthem off short where the rubber side rails end. If you had an extra pair it might work.:confused:

Jon

Hi Frank,

I use Ala fins (from Technisub) which are a fairly classical choice for this sport.

http://www.technisub.com/ing/ala.htm

These are all rubber fins, not very stiff and much preffered by defencers. I also have large feets and I don't have a problem fitting into Alas. Since not really popular for scuba (no fancy colors), they are pretty hard to come by. You may check Waddell Aquatics in Montreal (www.total-diving.com); I bought a pair from them about an year ago.
Some forwards preffer longer / stiffer /stronger fins like Mares avanti / Sporasub Cruise.
Where do you play UW Hockey in Quebec?
Cheers,

Virgil

Last edited:
I use both Ala's (when playing in the backs) and cruise/quattros when playing as a forward/winger.

I think that Spumas are against the rules because they are not rubber - cutting down the esclapez is a nice idea but I wouldn't like to play against someone with sawn off fins!

I get enough cuts and grazes from people using cruise/quattros!

Used Quattros / cruises

I use cruises in any position even if i cant turn for toffee. I just cant get used to the non - acceleration of the Ala's after wearing my cruises.

However Crazyfrenchman. The solution is to buy someone elses old cruises. The footpocket stretches after two years of thrice weekly play. And they still have plenty plenty life in them at that point. The stretch is about a half size. Its what you want, Oui ?

Skin.:cool:

Cruise fins are the way to go!

Crazyfrenchmen,

I’m with Skindiver in that Sporasub Cruise fins (or the Mares equivalent) are the only fins for me. I can’t think of another decent fin (that’s still in production) to recommend. I bought a pair of Cresisub Ala fins in Montreal about 2 yrs. ago and played with them for a few weeks before selling them. I just didn’t find them comfortable or as responsive at the Cruise fins. I play both pivot and forward. On the other hand, there are players on our national teams that wear Ala’s.

I also agree that the fin pockets stretch. I wear a size 12 or 13 shoe and a size 8-9 Cuise fin (and they still come off if I don’t have fin straps on!). I’m on about my 5th pair of UWH fins, most of which have been Mares Twarons (now discontinued, but basically the same), and with every new pair they hurt the sides of my feet for the first 30mins or so of each game, for a couple of weeks. Once I’m past that stage they are great. Perhaps the same will happen to you? On the other hand, they do become softer with age and the lost acceleration is noticeably, especially when you get new ones!

Good luck in your search.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT