• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vannes / Morbihan - spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Right anyone got any recent info on spearfishing in this area ?

I searched the forum here and dragged up some fizzled out old threads that mention 'insurance' and getting a free document from the town hall or maritime office...

What is the score ?

What kind of insurance is this ? General travel insurance or can you actually get freediving/spearfishing insurance ?!

Anyway aside from paperwork what areas are good if you are based in Vannes for a while? Shore diving would be more of interest - in the region of 4m to 15m.

What sort of species do you get ?
What are the tidal conditions ?
What equipment do most people use? (Gun length)
Oh and how is the vis throughout the year?!

If you can think of any other info I'd be interested to hear...

Cheers
Ed
(Thinking of emigrating...)

Ed, I had to check the maps to find out where it's at. That's closer to Guernsey than Mediterranean. My guess, just a guess: can't be so much different than Guernsey/Normandy etc etc etc.
But if you really think of emigrating, do it seriously and look for some hot spot way down south!

Hi Spaghetti - yes, it is closer but I had trouble finding a 'France' section (also was thinking about north coast of Spain which doesn't fit into a med type category).

Anyway - not really emigrating but some people I know are so will be going to stay throughout the year - their choice of location not mine so will be trying to do a bit of spearfishing there too - also with global warming it should get warmer sooner :)

Any chance of Giltheads/Orata in that location ?
Is the fishing mostly over sandy areas ? Any flat fish ?

Like you say I would expect it to be similar to Guernsey but then you have that massive body of water in the gulf and also the Quiberon peninsular so might have some strange microclimates...

Maybe a mix of northern fish (bass / pollack / wrasse / bass / bass / bass) and maybe more southern fish (gilthead / dentex ?) Any chance of dentex ?

Ah well at least the water will be clearer there than here...

Ed

Have fished further west a place called Ile Percee between Lorient and Concarneau and am hoping to go there again at the end of this month. Its basically the same as here species wise I caught Dover sole, mullet, cuttle (left the rockies alone) and found a great sndbank with loads and loads of vongole (little clams)

I think you are supposed to have a licence, but I didnt bother. There is a great campsite there right on the edge ofthe beach. I'll let you have further details if you want

Andy

An anual fishing licence should be mandatory
try to visit this forum:
Pêche sous-marine en Normandie • Page d’index
2 well known spots at 1 h drive from Vannes:
-Potivy(st Pierre quiberon): bass++
-Pointe de penvins (Sarzeau): giltherad++
On the place easy inshore diving except if stormy weather(carefull), does'nt require a boat

Attachments

• logo_jpeg_en.jpg
    logo_jpeg_en.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 143
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT