• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

variable ballast hunting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andrsn

Just visiting...
Aug 26, 2001
anyone ever tried getting to depth (ie. 25m+) w/ your gun using a variable ballast technique? was thinking of using some sort of lead weight attatched to a long line. have the weight pull you down, then let go. once back at the surface, you could pull it back up and use it again.

thoughts? :confused:

anderson

I thought it before and decided not worth to carry it all the day.:)

If you you want to use it you must attach it to float but can you pull it every time from 25 meter deep? How will you pack and unpack the long line every time?:confused:

Sorry Chief, I can't even equalize as gentle as my fin can kick or worse, even when I try to glide down slowy...... I thought this technic you mentioned is called "bombing" or something and some people do that.....

I've never used it for hunting but I had a friend that did. A good weight to use is the "cannonball" style used for downriggers. They weigh about 8# and already have eyes for attaching your line to. I rigged one up to try but never did anything w/ it. On one eye I tied a loop of line w/ a piece of tubing for a hand grip, to the other I tied a large brass clip so you could clip the gun off and not have to hold it. The main line could be tied to either one of these. It seems like it's going to be alot of trouble pulling the thing up after every dive. Some things to consider: If you're like me you spiral going down, to ck out the bottom and water around you. Make sure you don't wind the line around you or get it tangled. Are you going to wear less weight? If you wear the same amount you usually do then when you start to pull the weight up it will probably pull you down somewhat so you'll have to constantly kick to get it to the surface. Then you have to hold the thing or tie it off to your float till you're ready to dive again. If you go lighter on your belt and the fish aren't in deep water you'll have to rerig your belt or throw another one on. I guess you could always have Aquiles follow you w/ the boat and pull it up for you after every dive:D. I think the technique has potential but like everything else, there's trade offs. If you want I'll bring mine when I go to FL and leave it w/ DQBN.
Disclaimer: After it leaves my possession, whatever is done w/ it is the responsibility of the user. Use it wisely.;)
Jay

yeah, i was thinking about just going to a couple of lbs on my belt if i did it.

i think the most difficult thing about deep hunting is that you're limited on pursuing fish w/ any significant amount of effort. i think it's a "drop on top" where you see a fish from above. descending on top of it gives you the smallest profile and also will give you a "fleeing" shot, too if they start to move out from under you.

i've thought about this many times. many will argue it's dangerous, but i think, in the hands of the right people, it could be safer for them in attempting to hit fish at a considerable depth.

i'll keep pondering. :cool:

anderson

ps. oh, i just remembered, this would disqualify any fish submitted for world records. oh darn. :waterwork rofl

JAMES BOND

Why not just mount a couple of spear guns on the front of a scooter. I think that they used these in Thunderball.
That way you could zoom down, shoot the fish twice, and fly back to the surface. :D

Jon

Hi,

The sistem is already in use in many places, among them pearl divers.
Another way to go is to use 2 belts, one attached to a line, and leave it at the bottom.

Regards,

Sebastian

Andrsn , an alternative is a technique describet to me by some Spanish spearo's at Sardegna W.C.'s .
One diver does a duckdive , his buddy then dives after him and pushes him down . Have never tried it personally but they swear by it . Apparently they take all their big yellowbelly rockcod this way in 40 m. plus .

sled spearing

hi

One of my mates does it. it looks awsome fun but again im too lazy to do that all day especially when theres a current imagine pulling that around.

cheers

How about using a big rock. I tried it this summer (not spearfishing) grabbing a 10kg rock and then being pulled down by it. Just drop the rock and forget it, no hassle with lines pulling it up again or anything.

Not like I know what I'm talking about, but...

I've done something along this line when harvasting urchins, where I'd thread the air line through the lift ring on the bottom bag. I could then pull myself down and be all fine and only slightly heavy on the bottom- a nice thing as the ski boots I wore to keep the ankles free of spines were weighted as well. It was quite the smooth look...:cool:

I will sometimes let the gun sit on the bottom with the floatline attached, all crossed up in the bottom's litter and use it as a downline. For those times when I want o be exactly where I was the previous dive, to pluck that lobster or unjam the gun I just shoved into a crack with 2 ninety degree turns in it. :mute

sven

Anderson & All,
I was thinking of same thing, mainly because I am one of those unfortunate few that equalization with head down is like 400% more difficult than horizontal. I got my eustachian tubes so stretched out now that I can equalize hand free in the horizontal position, but once I get pointing down more than 150% (180% being straight down) it all stops. I even bought an inversion machine to practice on. So far, not much improvement.

I understand the no-limit divers are going down feet first on the sled. How do their fins affect them? If I was to squeeze a rope with a weight on the bottom, with my fins & ankles, while holding on with an arm (head up), would the flow of water off the fins propel me to a side?

Hauling around the weight and rope isn’t much of problem for me, because I dive out of boat.
Don

Hi Don , regarding the no limits the usual setup is to hook your legs around a horisontal bar . Waterflow over the fins keep the knees bent and thus your grip . Also no energy expenditure .
I think if you try to keep your fins pointing down they will come alive with their very own ideas of where they want to go ...:D
Equalizing is definitely easier head up ; hope you can work something out .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT