• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
FRC training dive:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIVF0NHJGkc]YouTube - FRC Training Dive[/ame]

Reactions: fcallagy

Witchcraft, I say! Awesome videos and thank you for sharing them.

It looks like you start sinking rapidly straight from the top. Do you do anything for the initial thrust? It seems a bit more straining than the "conventional" method (arms up, pointed feet; perhaps requiring more efforts to remain vertical?). What are the advantages of feet first descent? Do you swim or pull yourself back up?

Feet first FRC looks like a blast :)

One question - it looks like you ascended pretty fast and straight up - no deco profile? I remember reading before that you suspected having DCS hits from even FRC dives - no problems this time?

Envying that mouthfill...

Last edited:
Eric,

Awesome (and gutsy) to be pushing these dives so deep.

I recall that when you were chasing the CWT WR you reported having a very high buildup of lactic in the legs making finning difficult on the ascent.

For me exhale dives seem to make the lactic build really quickly compared to an inhale dive. Has this been your experience? if so, how are you mitigating something that (based on my experience) would make the problem noted before much worse.

Feet first FRC looks like a blast :)

One question - it looks like you ascended pretty fast and straight up - no deco profile? I remember reading before that you suspected having DCS hits from even FRC dives - no problems this time?

Envying that mouthfill...

I used to believe that my DCS risk was low after just one dive (with a fast ascent). However, this was false. Ascending at up to 1.5m/s, I actually got some mild DCS after the 62m dive. After the 67m dive I did 100% O2 at 3.5m for 3 minutes and had no symptoms. So yes, I am violating the deco 'rule' on these deep dives, but it seems OK as long as I go down soon after, even for apnea/air hangs at 6m.

I recall that when you were chasing the CWT WR you reported having a very high buildup of lactic in the legs making finning difficult on the ascent.
For me exhale dives seem to make the lactic build really quickly compared to an inhale dive. Has this been your experience? if so, how are you mitigating something that (based on my experience) would make the problem noted before much worse.

I changed my training to help my legs adapt to working without much blood flow. In 2001 I was doing primarily aerobic training with occasional intervals, and it wasn't good enough to prepare my legs for deep dives. In 2004 when I began apnea hiking up a local mountain, suddenly my legs seemed invincible at depth.

Great vids, thanks for sharing. Definitely I have to try it someday but first I must master my epiglottis/soft palate. :martial
What was the depth for CNF dive?

Jiri B

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT