• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Must be about time for an update... how did everyone go today?

I'm surprised that I got here first!

Leo got NR FIM 76m
I got NR CNF 50m :)
Dave didn't dive
Ryuzo turned at 99m I think
Everyone else made their dives sucessfully

I think Will is about to post the results on vertical blue.

It was a pretty stunning day and I have the burnt shoulders to prove it!

well done katfish seems like a great comp watching it from an armchair

Onya Kathryn, brilliant work!

Well done Leo too, great to hear the hard work and perseverence has paid off.

Not long till :friday now....

Yes, Kathryn - you did it! Can't wait for some pictures...
Congrats to all of you and keep up the good work!
Hut ab, Klaus

Congratulations Kathryn, what a beautiful number! Well done everybody, this competition has been awesome to watch. Good luck on the last dives!

FIRST OF ALL TO NAT, MY GREAT FRIEND AND BUDY! I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU! I KNOW YOU COULD DO IT!!!!!!!!! YOU DESERVE IT BIG TIME, I KNOW HOW MUCH EFFORT YOU PUT IN TO GET IT!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!! SEE YOU SOON IN DAHAB!!! :inlove

I AM OF COURSE ALSO IMPRSSED AND WANT TO CONGRATULATE THE REST OF YOU TOO! WILLIAM, WOW! AND DAVID, GO FOR IT!

And for all the national records! congratulations! I am specially happy for Loe! i know how hard you have been trying...

KISSES TO ALL OF YOU!
LOTTA :)

Amazing comp, so many divers doing big dives. Huge congrats to Will and Natalia for 3 new WR's!

Also congrats to Kathryn for the 50m no-fins, Ryuzo cracking the 100m mark, Leo's 76m yosh!, FunkyDJ-Kerian 64m..... wow a lot of PB's and National records in there too. New Zealand now have 3 world records and maybe a 4th is on the way ?
That's very impressive for a country with only a small population, and relatively short history of competition freediving. Still a few days left, go Kiwi's!

Go Dave !

Cheers,
Wal

New update:

Will Trubridge - 86m world record in CNF!!!!!! (he looked amazing at the surface) - I don't know if the judges have looked at bottom video yet so I'm waiting on that before putting it on the DB site as a news item. What an awesome dive.

Dave Mullins - BO at 15m or so. He's fine and everything's okay. Narcosis played a role in his dive but he was on time on his way up. That will be his last attempt, I think, with only one day left.

Leo - BO at 2m in his national record 51m CNF attempt

Kathryn - New Kiwi record 65m with monofin. Looked good at surface, more in her for sure.

Frank - equalizing problem and turned really early.

Megumi - didn't dive.

I leave tomorrow morning: Natalia probably going for 60m in CNF. Kerian deeper with monofin (70M?). Will T 108m FIM attempt. I'm not sure about the others yet.

One year ago William Trubridge went to great personal expense to bring judges and divers to Deans Blue Hole so that he could attempt the WR in CNF in the Bahamian atmosphere which is more relaxed and benign than traditional venues in Egypt. This year he has had the vision and generosity to share his home with other divers, so that they too can benefit from this special place and opportunity. Thanks to the internet we have all been able to share in this wonderful event. That is because of William's excellent daily reporting, the beautiful and evocative writing of Pete on DeeperBlue News, and Joy's photos on Picasa. These three have made it an event of intimate humanity by sharing special personal moments. It makes me think of the political fiasco of the Olympics where TV has reduced it to superficial moments of sensation, and where egos and competition is all. The Vertical Blue event will no doubt go on to become bigger, but i hope all will remember this first special one. And maybe, who knows, it might offer a better way for athletes of all disciplines to get together and enjoy their sport and each other in an intimate and personal way which we can all share gently on the internet away from TV!

Reactions: laminar
I checked the AIDA record page and saw Will's new WR. Thought it was a typo, came back to this thread and there it is in laminar's post! That's incredible! Congrats, Will.
Best of luck to Natalia on tomorrow's dive (if she chooses to do it).

Any news on Eric? New PB?

One year ago William Trubridge went to great personal expense to bring judges and divers to Deans Blue Hole so that he could attempt the WR in CNF in the Bahamian atmosphere which is more relaxed and benign than traditional venues in Egypt. This year he has had the vision and generosity to share his home with other divers, so that they too can benefit from this special place and opportunity. Thanks to the internet we have all been able to share in this wonderful event. That is because of William's excellent daily reporting, the beautiful and evocative writing of Pete on DeeperBlue News, and Joy's photos on Picasa. These three have made it an event of intimate humanity by sharing special personal moments. It makes me think of the political fiasco of the Olympics where TV has reduced it to superficial moments of sensation, and where egos and competition is all. The Vertical Blue event will no doubt go on to become bigger, but i hope all will remember this first special one. And maybe, who knows, it might offer a better way for athletes of all disciplines to get together and enjoy their sport and each other in an intimate and personal way which we can all share gently on the internet away from TV!

here here - wonderful sentiment david and i completely agree :)

kp

This is really an awesome competition! And what Will does is even more special! Organizing everything and setting world records like this!

Huge congratulations and deepest respect!! Totally amazing!!

Of course also to all the others!

I am sorry that Dave Mullins couldn't so far hit the WR, somehow I expected him to do it just like that. Anyway, like many others I guess it will be just a question of time.

I am looking forward so much to seeing some videos of these wonderful event! Please post them soon!!

Cheers

Ivo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT