• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Very Cool DIY Dual-Tube Snorkel for about $6

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

REVAN

The Right Stuff
Mar 19, 2009
The Loop Snorkel is a clean-purging dual tube snorkel. Its unique design reduces salt-fog respiratory issues and the mouthpiece does not contact or rub the gum line. Therefore, it is a good snorkel design option for long endurance sea-hiking and swimming excursions. When not in use, the loop snorkel remains neatly constrained around the neck, which makes it a good snorkel design for scuba diving and extended range freediving.

The loop snorkel can be made with inexpensive parts from a hardware store and simple hand tools. The snorkel parts will probably cost about $6.

The linked YouTube video will show you the snorkel and how to make it:
[ame=[media=youtube]lYlKYPYoICU[/media] To Build A Loop Snorkel (Freediving & SCUBA) - YouTube[/ame]

Parts List (parts can be found in a hardware store plumbing section):
3/4 inch Tee Combination Fitting
9/16" OD, 3/8" ID Tygon tubing (about 3 feet)
Plumbers rubber gasket material
Electrical tape (possibly needed)

Tools:
Handheld grinding tool (Dremel) with 1/2 inch sanding drum (60 to 80 grit)
Hacksaw
Cutting shears
Razor blade
220 grit sanding paper

Optional tools;
90 deg. handheld grinder with 2 inch sanding wheel
Bandsaw

This video is supplied by Smith Aerospace Corp. so please check out their other diving products at Smith Aerospace - Home

Last edited by a moderator:
I either missed the comment above, or missed the fact that there was a link to another thread embedded in that comment. So, comment long overdue, but it is all very interesting. Until now, I didn't realize this thread had kicked off an underground snorkel movement. :)

I've been using my original loop snorkel, like the one shown in the video above, since I first built it in January of 2010. It has been working well enough that I have not been motivated to make any more upgrades. One thing I did that was an improvement, is that I started using a bite guard over my teeth. That made for the most comfortable snorkel arrangement yet. The bite guard takes the load from the bite buttons of the mouthpiece and distributes it over several teeth. The bite guard is not a part of the snorkel, but it sure makes a difference, and is worth giving a try.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT