• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Very cool freediving pic!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sturgeon

Feb 1, 2002
Here's an extremely cool picture of my best friend Pat Johnson freediving 95 feet on a wreck in North Carolina, surrounded by sand tigers.

I thought some of you might enjoy checking it out.

Scott

Attachments

• sand-sharks1.jpg
    sand-sharks1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,021
That pic is cool indeed! In last year's Bluewater tourney in Hattaras, a few of the divers had to spear fish in depths under those Sand Tiger Sharks.

Does this pic cause any De Ja Vu Blake?

That is a GREAT pic!!:eek: I have wanted to get up to the Carolina's to dive with the Sand Tigers. I have heard that, while they are fearsome looking, they are actually quite docile and even friendly.

This just became my new computer desktop! Thanks!! :)

Are those OMER Rekord Evolution Carbon fins he is using? If so, how do they compare to the C4's?

Wabo,

Those are indeed OMER carbons. I have a pair myself and they were one of my favorite fins of all time until I cracked one by being stupid and crawling into a wreck after a wounded grouper. Because they are wider and shorter than C4s and don't have high side rails, they are very maneuverable (from a spearfisherman's point of view). Unfortunately, OMER doesn't make them anymore and instead sells C4s. Mark Lobaccetta (OMER USA) checks in on DB every so often and so will hopefully jump in here and ad some insight.

Scott

Are the footpockes removable on those Omer Carbons? I have seen a few pair for sale in large sizes, but i was never sure if I could remove the existing footpocks and put my footpockets on....

Wabo,

Yup, removable pockets/blades. If you get the chance to pick up a set of used OMER carbon blades at a good price, I'd jump on it. Or check out http://www.SpecialFins.com for a very similar sized blade called the Hybrid. That’s what I’m using right now.

Scott

Last edited:
Originally posted by SThompson
I have heard that, while they are fearsome looking, they are actually quite docile and even friendly.

Great pic, Scott.

They use those sharks for many, US TV "be-stupid-for-money" gameshows. The contestants don't know any better, so the first one in the tank usually craps his pants. The others do better after they see that the sharks couldn't care less.

Amazing how such a fearsome looking shark could be so docile.....and this cute little frog has enough poison on its skin to kill 10 humans. Mother Nature is a maaaaaad scientist :D.

Last edited:
Hi Scott....

I have been looking for a pair of those Omer carbons for a while for blue water and to compare to my C4 40's.

Intrestingly enough, I have a pair of specialfins on the way. Not the hybrids, the Kelpies. I am expecting them any day. I have heard alot of good things about Specialfin products, so I decided to give them a try too. The Kelpies should be comparable to my Matrix fins (which are awsome) with the added advantage of a angle in the blade and a camo pattern. Too bad it takes so long to get their product. Anyways, thanks for the info...

Great pic indeed, a worthy candidate for a 2005 DeeperBlue calendar...

With what camera did you take the picture?

That's trully an amazing pic. Every once in a while there can be a bull shark mixed in with the sand tigers. We had that happen last year when we found a big school of these sharks on a wreck. The bull stole a nice mutton from me and rushed us twice.

Angelos

Wabo,

Let us know what you think of the Kelpies. I'm hoping you got a pair of hards coming because that's what I'm interested in. I'd love to hear a review of them from you.

CEnglebrecht,

About the picture, I didn't take it. Saying this may get it removed from the site but it was done by a proffessional photographer from Skin Diver magazine. I'd give the guy credit but I don't know his name so I can't. Anyway, it was supposed to be for an article about freediving and spearfishing in Hatteras staring my friend Pat and Mark Lobaccetta (OMER USA) but the only article that ran was a little blerb about the sand tigers. The picture is a couple years old and the photographer freely gave it to my friend, so I figured it was probably fair game at this stage. As long as it's not formally published and nobody’s making money off it, I think it's probably ok but if Stephan thinks it should be taken off the website, that's cool by me (don't want anybody getting in trouble over it).

Take care.

Scott

I've got a pair of those OMER carbons too. Couldn't like them more! Got a great deal on them off of ebay of all places :D If I ever break a blade though I'll be checking out the hybrids.

Great pic indeed!

Aaron

It was photographed by Walt Stearns. They were diving the Proteus and Dixie Arrow wrecks in Hatteras. Mark gave us the whole story the other day...sounds like an amazing few days of freediving....Sharks, Tuna, Wahoo, etc....

Walt was diving a rebreather, sitting at 110-120 and shooting up at Pat and Labo as they dove down to the sharks. Maybe Mark will post the whole story on DB.

-Matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT