• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Very early contractions in STA despite good (?) relaxation

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

flapjack octopus

Aug 16, 2022
TL;DR despite some extensive experience and some decent performance (CWT34, DYN 60, STA 3'44) and, I believe but maybe I am wrong, good breathing technique and relaxation, my STA holds are inconsistent and I get very early (40-45s sometimes) contractions on dry holds. How to improve?
--------------
Long version: as a teen (more or less 14-18) I spent months at the sea in the summer. Without any training (and sometimes doing unsafe things) I learnt Frenzel equalisation, dived to 32 meters with bifins, 24 with no fins. Perhaps more importantly I developed a lot of confidence in the water. Most of my freediving was with just mask and snorkel. Sometimes I was also using freediving fins but no suite and no descent line.

Now it's about 20 years later. I am in the water much less but I seem to have retained my confidence. I can equalise hands free, did an apnea academy course and some proper freediving training (mostly working on free immersion). In that occasion I also did a 3.44 STA (in water) which felt like a great achievement as my previous best was 2.30. Still dived to about 30 mt in a few occasions which does not feel close to my limit quote for Frenzel. Same with FRC dive to 8mt.

This is not strictly related to the main qeustion, but I was trying to motivate why I think I have some experience and understanding of how my body reacts. Still I have never properly trained for freediving. I have now signed up for an AIDA 4 course and decided to do some CO2 tables (dry). It's not going well, today I was gettin fairly strong contractions at about 40-45. Couple of days ago I was in the water and did a 7mt plus hang of 2' 10". Perhaps I was starting to feel contractions, but nowhere near as annoying as the ones from today at 45 seconds. I know about mammalian dive response, but I seem to perform better in the water moving than on the dry perfectly relaxed.

It i s also possible that I overestimate my experience and level. After all what I am used to is breath holding in the water and going down. I've never been particularly strong at long holds and never trained them. I occasionally do much better holds on the dry and in the water but they are inconsistent. Perhaps I do better when swimming as it is easier to focus on something. Still, contractions at 45s seems a bit much...

Anyway, come half September I should be able to do 3'30" hold in the water with some confidence. Any tips on how to improve and train to get there are more than welcome :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT