• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Very new freediver burst eardrum

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
two tips that helped me get down further (well, three)
1. keep your sight out into the blue, don't strain to look down
2. relax a lot on the way down, you will find EQ gets easier on a dive session, and over a period of months
3. do a course!

I still have the stupidest Frenzel in the world (guuuuuuuuuuuggghhhhh sound from the back of my throat) but I have EQed past 40M so it can't be that bad..

Hi Trux!
Thanks so much for your help. Do I need to be qualified to access this site? Just got my AIDA 1star so not sure if this is enough. I'm not the greatest techno geek in the world!!
Cheers bobcat

Cheers Azapa. I've just done a deeper blue course at the SETT tank which was awesome and helped confirm I was doing Frenzel correctly and it was my tiny tubes that seemed to be an issue because although I was pretty chilled and did loads of dives over the two days I was just stuck at 5m . I take your point on relaxing... Hopefully I'm scubaing in a couple of weeks so I can give everything a slow try out.
All the best
bobcat

Hi Trux!
Thanks so much for your help. Do I need to be qualified to access this site? Just got my AIDA 1star so not sure if this is enough. I'm not the greatest techno geek in the world!!
The Media Base is open to public. Anyone can use it. Registered members have some extra advantages, and they can also use the Freediving Training Manager, which is not accessible without passing a theory test. That's for safety reasons. Not needed for accessing the database of media, docuements, and links.

I am so sorry but I am not a computer person! The site looks awesome but I'm clicking on documents and am unable to open them. The UWTV looks great but I can't open it...grrrr!!! Apologies for being a techno bumpkin....
cheers bobcat

Normally, when you click on a line it the list of documents, a light yellow popup window with details about the document appears on the right side. There is usually an abstract of the document, or description of the media or website, and if it is a video you can usually start it with the green button "show video" at the bottom. Alternatively, you can click the link "media URL" or "Site URL" and the website containing the media or document will open in a separate tab or window.

If that does not work for you, then please send me details about your browser version by PM. Also explain there what exactly happens when you click on the links. If you see any yellow triangle with exclamation in the left bottom corner of your browser window (if using MS Internet Explorer), double click on it, and append what is written there to the PM too.

If you just have problems viewing the video, then you can try accessing it directly from the orginal website (click the Site URL). You can also check for other tips and hints regarding video viewing, in the FAQ at APNEA.cz - Support

You are a star!!! Big thanks for your patience. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back in the water. The apnea.cz site is amazing. You should be very proud :) Bobcat

Re: Circular Equalizing

Huge thanks Bryan. I really appreciate your help and its good to know I'm not the only one...I was starting to feel like a freak of nature :( The only thing I'm a bit doubtful about is managing my reg, with my mouth open whilst doing a good Frenzel. I think I may spend a while on the 3m shelf having a play and experiment. Its going to be like learning to rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time!!!!!!
I'm not diving for a couple of weeks but will let you know how I get on...
Cheers Bobcat

Yes, it's VERY annoying when everyone around you - especially people who have zero interest in freediving - can equalise really easily and you're trying all kinds of techniques just to even out one tiny physical "defect" you happened to be born with!

I hadn't thought about possible problems with the mouth-open technique with a regulator, cos I don't scuba, but I've just tried it on dry land with a snorkel in my mouth and it's fine - just keep a loose hold on the reg mouthpiece with the lips only, and the teeth and tongue should be able to get into the right position. Might take some experimenting but you should get there in the end.

Sorry to hear you were stuck at the top 5m at SETT. Must have been very frustrating.

You are a star!!! Big thanks for your patience. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back in the water. The apnea.cz site is amazing. You should be very proud :) Bobcat
You are welcome. Just please tell me what confused you originally. Feedback of less experienced visitors always interests me. Perhaps I can make it more intuitive. You could not start the video, or didn't you see the external links?

There was no "playvideo" tab visible and I'm not familiar with url/media so I didn't know to click on this link. (I can see techno's all over the world putting their heads in their hands in despair!!!) It's bedtime here but when I get a chance, I'll have a go at some of the documents too and give you some feedback. It will hopefully help you when dealing with stone age computer people like me :) :)
cheers and thanks again
bobcat

Re: Circular Equalizing

Big,Big thankyou for going to so much trouble....its much appreciated. I will give the technique a shot on the 3 and 6 m shelves (and hopefully deeper!) at good old Stoney Cove and let you know the results! You were also spot on...to look down the SETT tank ,know you have enough breath range and to be stopped by 2 tiny tubes was AMAZINGLY frustrating!! Especially when people who are not bothered if they dive again or not are whizzing off into the blue... With all this info,some hard work and a lot of patience I'm aiming to be one of them....eventually :)
Cheers again
Bobcat

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT