• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Very Nice Blade for good value!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I like the first one and since my accident, I discovered the rescue crew nicked my dive knife :-( All other gear was saved (and my tahiti of course rode with me to the hospital!!)

I like the first one... anybody got any preferences for knives (I do scuba as well!)

Kniveage

Currently looking for one. I don't like big dive knives. Currently I have a nice serrated Buck Skinner (later model - 420 stainless) and a very nice Boker Ceramic folder - neither of which is really made for freediving. Unless you are regularly prying stuff (abalone etc.) I'd think a point would be more practical - esp the very sturdy 'tanto' style point this one has.

Hey Fondue! (mmmm I like cheese fondue :D)
I have a really cool Sporasub Mini-Snake, you should try that out... its small and pointy and really sharp, it wont get in the way of anything! Heres a piccy:

Attachments

• khife.jpg
    khife.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 484
Design is important but the material is important too. Do you know what its made of?

No idea... Its a spora so I dont think its cheap stuff... Ill check the box though :)

The Hammond (thread opener) is AUS8 steel - which is very good hard steel and also quite corrosion resistant

The gerber is a 400HC steel - a little softer than the aus8 - but also more corrosion resistant.

Not sure about the spora - but that is too specialized a knife for me - though it looks good for spearfishing.

i doubt if any spearfishing brand produces blades from high quality like AUS8. If they do its commercial mistake:D MY OMER has 425 ss which is good but not in the class of AUS8:hmm

I use a Riffe knife and after finding it after losing it for 3 weeks its now trucking strong...always remeber to keep the rubber thing around the handle or no kinfe!!

I have been a user of CRKT products though and love them; if I end up losing the Riffe for good Id sure give them a whirl. Good call on these Murat, as I didnt realize CRKT made dive knives.

Hope all is well,
Justin

I picked up one of the CRKT Hammond ABC operators. Very well designed - made with aus8 steel - titanium coated. The design is very practical with long serrated surface on one side - and a regular blade on the other. The design runs the thickest part through the center of the blade, and the tanto style point makes it very sturdy. Very well designed knife across the board - and perfect size and shape for diving/spearfishing. I like the long very slightly curved cutting surface - makes it really practical for underwater-type applications. The serrations are just the right size too. Got it for $38 new from Northwoods Innovations on ebay.

The sheath is also perfect for diving; tightness can be adjusted (how hard it is to get the knife out) with screws and it can be worn in any conceivable way.

The thing seems perfectly designed. It's not as much of a stilletto as some of the specialized speero knives - but the balance and handle design are perfect. If you press on the very back of the handle the pressure is transmitted perfectly to the tip of the blade.

It has the feel of a very sturdy and practical tool.

The sheath design is also perfect for diving. No 'O' rings or buttons or anything and no way it could fall out by accident.

pretty much flawless - thanks for pointing it out. :)

Check out the "Sporasub Snake" Dagger

Watch out that some blades have a lot of alloys added to the steel so that it doesn't rust in saltwater, but it makes the steel softer and it doesn't hold the edge very well.

The Sporasub snake has a zinc half-ball at the end of the handle that prevents the steel blade from rusting in salt-water. It's the same trick used on tankers and ships.
This way Sporasub was able to use a harder steel that holds its edge, while the blade doesn't rust.

P7020000T.jpg

The Snake is very popular in Europe and regarded as the best overall spearfishing dagger, for which it was especially designed.

i think its oversized!!! but very well for killing fish. May not very suitable for cutting jobs and hard to carry on the belt.

AUS 8 stell is one of the most hardest steel, actually i think its in the second class in hardness after ultra expensive DAMASCUS. They adds some alloys to AUS8 to make it more resistant to the rust, and they hold edges better than most of the steels. Yet its little hard to sharpen. You should not have problem if you maintain it accordingly...

Ps: I don't have any experiance with this stell i just passed the info i read from the net (respected knifemaking sites!!!)

Last edited:
Well, I can't talke about rust yet but this hammond abc is very solid and extremely sharp. The steel is very fine and does not 'feel' sharp - but I did the arm hair test and now have a small bald spot on my arm (doh). the edge is sharp and smooth enough to shave with.

You'd have to hold it to know but it's really a very solid little knife. As I said the balance and overall shape are such that you can very easily direct force to the tip - placing the heel of the handle in the center of your palm while still having a good grip with your fingers. It's solid enough that you could strap it to the end of something and have yourself a hand spear. I'd say this is the best designed knife I've ever owned. I think in salt water you'd want to clean it with a lightly oiled cloth after diving - just to be on the safe side.

It's not a specialized Stilletto like the sporasub knife - and it may be for really huge fish you'd want something longer (I like the zinc idea too). But as an all-round knife this is really a superb design.

I also emailed ckrt and they are sending me a pair of yellow handles free (for when i drop this thing amongst the zebra muscles)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT