• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Victoria and Tasmanian wetsuit thickness for Summer????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dazed321

Sep 11, 2017
Hi Guys,

I was planning a road trip over the months November to February in my campervan from Sydney to Tassie, I was after some advice on what wetsuit thickness you would recommend?

Thanks in advance

Rob

I reckon 7mm is the go. Port Phillip Bay is warmer than any place opening onto Bass Strait, including Tasmania. It can range from 14 to 26 °C, so I am sure 7mm will not go astray. Enjoy, Jak.

Reactions: dazed321
I reckon 7mm is the go. Port Phillip Bay is warmer than any place opening onto Bass Strait, including Tasmania. It can range from 14 to 26 °C, so I am sure 7mm will not go astray. Enjoy, Jak.
Thanks Jay,

I was sort of hoping for something a bit thinner but I think you could right!

I would plan on the water temps to be between 14-17C. Different people feel cold in very different ways. I just fished a two days pairs event over this weekend in 15C water & after 5 hours of swimming I was still warm with a 5mm open cell top & 3mm bottoms, my partner in the pairs was cold after a couple of hours & this certainly effected his ability. He could have used a 7mm top & I may have had more utility from a good 3mm open cell top, but it was nice to be warm.
If I was going down to Tassie over that period I would just use a 5mm top & 3mm bottoms as this would give me a few hours comfort even at 14C, if you are inclined to feel the cold a 7mm top might be better. I dislike having bottoms heavier than 3mm for spearfishing as it slows me down too much & for this reason would choose a 7mm top & 3mm pants over a 5mm top & bottom for a bit more warmth. If you spear one of those "tassie trumpeters" please be sure to post some photos. (y)

Reactions: dazed321
I would plan on the water temps to be between 14-17C. Different people feel cold in very different ways. I just fished a two days pairs event over this weekend in 15C water & after 5 hours of swimming I was still warm with a 5mm open cell top & 3mm bottoms, my partner in the pairs was cold after a couple of hours & this certainly effected his ability. He could have used a 7mm top & I may have had more utility from a good 3mm open cell top, but it was nice to be warm.
If I was going down to Tassie over that period I would just use a 5mm top & 3mm bottoms as this would give me a few hours comfort even at 14C, if you are inclined to feel the cold a 7mm top might be better. I dislike having bottoms heavier than 3mm for spearfishing as it slows me down too much & for this reason would choose a 7mm top & 3mm pants over a 5mm top & bottom for a bit more warmth. If you spear one of those "tassie trumpeters" please be sure to post some photos. (y)
Big thanks SHARKEY!!!!!! I think I might look into a 3.5mm suit and an extra 5mm top. INdonesia at the moment using a wetsuit top and boardshorts. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT