• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[Video] How NOT to load a speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

graycon

Apr 23, 2014

I thought I would get a quick shot of my brother-in-law demonstrating how to load a speargun. He didn't know I was recording him. It turned out to be a how NOT to load a speargun instead.

Other than this we have been having a lot of fun, and I'll post some real spearfishing videos later on. For now enjoy this short one!

Ouch! I now understand the term 'shaft whip' though, thanks:dead:

Oooh, agony and shame at the same time. Thanks for posting :cool:

The leash with the large, weighted muppet lure was, um, interesting too. Do you guys normally dangle a large fish attractor from your weigh belt (looked like the camera holder had a similar set up @0:41)?

The leash with the large, weighted muppet lure was, um, interesting too. Do you guys normally dangle a large fish attractor from your weigh belt (looked like the camera holder had a similar set up @0:41)?

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you on this.

First off, I should warn that we are novices, and were definitely experimenting while in the water! It was a ton of fun.

I did attach a lure to the end of my gun for a while. I had mixed results with it. The fish would swim at the flasher, but also it made loading the gun a bit more difficult. I got at least 1 fish, that swam at me because of the flasher (I think!).

One trip out I found a lead weight that the Hawaiian's use for slide bait. I thought I would tie it to the flasher on the end of my gun, so that it would hang down, and not be in my way. That was a HUGE mistake. Everything wanted to get caught on it, and the weight being way out there cause incredible amounts of wrist strain.

If I attach a lure to my gun again, it will be smaller, and maybe have a tiny weight to keep it hanging downward. Lessons were learned!

The 'weighted muppet lure' you see in the video, was carried by my brother-in-law / fishing buddy. He was having sinus problems, and wasn't a real strong swimmer. He was unable to dive down to any real depth. So he carried that flasher in an attempt to bring fish in towards us. He couldn't toss it, because then I would have had to retrieve it every time. It was not an ideal situation, but as I said, it was a lot of fun!

Reactions: Mr. X
I have a buddy who wrapped reflective marine flasher tape to the muzzle of his gun. That way you have some blinkey blinkey flashey on your gun without all the tangling and weight.

Great vid, hopefully he was wearing a 7mil!

I have a buddy who wrapped reflective marine flasher tape to the muzzle of his gun. That way you have some blinkey blinkey flashey on your gun without all the tangling and weight.

Great vid, hopefully he was wearing a 7mil!

No, 2 mil. Maybe next time we should strategically sew on a patch of 7 mil for protection.

On a more serious note, I will probably put flashy tape on my gun next time, but we will see.

Not so bad bud we all got pain in the same way. Just practice that pull down then put it to your chest and drag the the bands down and hoohem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT