• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Video of spearing a white sea bass in the kelp

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
Great video and fantastic fish!

The kelp you guys have over there seem to make for some interesting fish retrieval.

On average how long does it take to get a fish free? And do you cut the kelp away of is it a matter of untangling everything?

I don't know what the average might be, but it often takes a long time to retrieve the fish. The first job is just to follow the reel line or float line under the kelp to find the fish. I have a 120 foot float line and I might have to dive several times, following the line under and around kelp, coming up for air, and then continuing. I've seen cases where the fish went under kelp at 50 feet, came back up near the surface, went back down again, etc. If the visibility is poor (and it often is) you can't see the line and take shortcuts- you have to follow every foot of it.

Then when we do find the fish, we usually have to cut kelp. The fish has often wrapped the shooting line around a bunch of kelp and is buried deep in the mess. In poor visibility, we have to be very careful to avoid being tangled, and to make sure we are cutting kelp instead of shooting line. It may take several dives. Often we end up unclipping the shooting line from the reel line or float line, and sometimes even cutting the shooting line from the shaft, bringing the fish up, and then pulling the reel line or float line up from the other end.

Regarding float lines- its impossible to use a float that provides any buoyancy to fight the fish. While hunting it would be impossible to drag it down through the kelp. Many people use a naked line with nothing on the rear end. I use a small float that simply serves as something to grab if all the line has been pulled through my hand. It slides through the kelp easily and makes it easier to find the end of the line.

Most people use breakaway float lines rather than attaching the line to the butt of the gun. If the line is attached to the gun, then the gun gets pulled through the kelp and might hang up and cause the fish to tear off. And even if that doesn't happen, it complicates retrieval. You have to cut a fish out of the kelp, and then go cut a gun out of the kelp.

Attachments

• carrotyellowtape.jpg
    carrotyellowtape.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 287
Reactions: DuncM
Thanks for the explanation Bill.
Seems like a lot of work but I suppose well worth the effort knowing the result is a nice WSB.

Great catch man. Im just a little down the road from you in San Diego. I was curious, is that how the visibility usually is around San Clemente?

Great catch man. Im just a little down the road from you in San Diego. I was curious, is that how the visibility usually is around San Clemente?
It can vary from beng able to see the 50 foot bottom from the surface to hardly being able to see the end of your gun.

While I'm at it, I went to Catalina yesterday, and at least my buddies got a couple of nice yellowtail.

Attachments

• austin30.JPG
    austin30.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 246
  • austindave30s.JPG
    austindave30s.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 269
It can vary from beng able to see the 50 foot bottom from the surface to hardly being able to see the end of your gun.

While I'm at it, I went to Catalina yesterday, and at least my buddies got a couple of nice yellowtail.

Catalina is beautiful. Some friends and I do an anual trip there. 50 feet visibility sounds nice though. Maybe we'll take a road trip soon. Thank you for your response

Yesterday the visibility on a local keep bed was about 40 feet. I saw a school of white sea bass from the surface in the first five minutes but never found them again. My three buddies scored though.
IMG_1804.jpg

If you come up this way, you should know that there aren't many spots for beach diving. Salt Creek, just north of Dana Point can be good, but a boat is needed for most spots.

You may have heard about the very unusual run off bluefin tuna of SoCal. Yesterday a freediver took a 173 pound fish 5 miles off of Dana Point. That is a new state record for spearfishing.
tuna.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Valdeeezzzyyy
Thank you for the tip. Maybe we'll bring up a kayak with us then. Whoa!!!! Thats ridiculous. 173 pounds!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT