• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Visibility

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kmo

Fish killer
Oct 31, 2005
How do you define visibility? Is it the distance over which you can see and identify fish, your partners orange snorkel tip, the reef, or the blurry outines of things?
It seems like a stupid question, but people are always talking about how many metres of vis they had and I'm never sure if I'm picturing it right.

Thanks,
Cam

Reactions: freediver7
i guess different people have different opinions on it, i define it as the distance i can see clearly, best vis ive had was about 100 feet, i could see my float 50 feet behind me, my partner was about 10 feet behind my float, and wayyyy off in the distance i could see the stringer hanging off of his float, with a 50 foot floatline. so yea.. i couldnt very clearly see the stringer, even tho i could see the outline of it, so i rounded the vis off to 100 feet :)

Sickbugs-
That's just cruel. On a bad day in LA we don't have that much visibility through the air, let alone water.

I've wondered about the definition too. My initial take is that it's the distance you can identify familiar objects but not make out detail. So, you can make out a diver but not tell who it is, make out a fish by shape but not see colors, etc.

Last edited:
How do you define visibility, Is a great question.
To me visibility is the rage at which I can differentiate game from non-game. My dive buddy from a grouper. I have passed up many shots because I thought a white sea bass was a harbor seal. It looked like a large gray object swimming on the outer edge of visibility.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT