• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Voice cracking after dry statics.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sep 16, 2015
Hi guys, so i'm finally getting really good results after a year of practicing. My contractions finally feel like light hiccups but i do have one quite strange problem. Every time i practice dry c02 tables my voice cracks, i sound like an old raspy granny for the next 10 minutes. I dont know whats up with that, i feel a slight pressure around my glotis, but its involuntary, its not like i'm actively doing something to keep my glottis closed.

Anyone else maybe experience something similar to this? its a bit worrying ....

I am experiencing the same when doing dry apnea.

Best
Søren Lund

Sendt fra min SM-G900F med Tapatalk

When you hold your breath you need to exert force to keep your epiglottis closed. It would not be surprising if exerting this force lead to general tension in the larynx/ vocal cords, causing your issue (among freediving disciplines, statics will require the most force at the epiglottis because you are holding the pressure of a maximal breath without the assistance of reduced lung capacity at depth).

You could try closing your epiglottis while trying to relax the throat area as much as possible - this may help you isolate only the muscles required to close the epiglottis.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT