• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vuoto Air 100 vs Asso 115

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Crustyfish

Jun 25, 2013
Hi

I've been playing around with my Seacsub Caccia HF90 for a while now and for some reason just really enjoy diving with the pneumatic. Maybe because it feels more like freediving with a gun than dragging a big double rubber gun around the ocean, especially for smaller fish or crappy vis. The only thing is that it does feel a little lacking for the clearer days when bigger fish are around, so I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger pneumatic gun (and upgrading the 90cm with a dry barrel kit too because I can actually carry this on my motorbike).

So. The question of the hour; can anyone offer an opinion or firsthand experience of either of these two options:

Salvimar Vuoto Air 100cm

Seacsub Asso 115cm with dry barrel kit

Would the 100cm Vuoto be enough of a size upgrade over the 90cm Caccia, or would the Asso 115 dry barrel be more powerful? Any thoughts on quality, reliability, cost appreciated as well. I'm tall enough to load the larger gun with no issues as well.

Cheers

Carl

Here's a thread where Gazz has tested the 100 cm "Vouto":
http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/new-salvimar-vuoto-100.99929/

A longer gun will be more powerful if both of them are with dry barrel and same working pressure.
Installing a dry barrel kit and using a 1mm -1,2mm mono shooting line significantly increases the guns performance. You won't be sorry for doing so with the 90cm "Caccia".

You can PM Gazz. He has experience with the long pneumatics - both the 100 cm "Vuoto" and the "Asso's". Here's an old thread about his 135cm "Asso":
http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/project-asso-135.96455/

Jégwan

Last edited:
Hi Carl, Welcome to the form!
I own both

The vuoto 100 has the advantage of being ready to shoot out of the box with quality parts. The Asso will need a new muzzle and spear.
Also note the asso is 113cm long and the vuoto is 105cm long. You will have loads more range over the caccia with both guns.

Hi Gazz

Thanks for the feedback. The more I read about pneumatics the more complicated they become and I have even less of an idea about the next gun now. There does seem to be scope for one of the manufacturers to release a really good dry barrel gun that ticks all of the boxes rather than just a few. If the Vuoto air came in a 110 or 115 size then it would be much simpler for example. I'm really looking for that size as its the longest I will be able to load without going to extended loaders etc.

One of the local shops is selling cyrano evo hf 110s for a really good price so now this has entered the equation as well, along with the seac hunter 115, which must be the new generation of asso as it has a 13mm barrel. I've read the threads on 11mm vs 13mm barrels but that seems inconclusive as well. Do you think that its worth going for a 8mm shaft if chasing kingfish around sydney?

The other option is to put the dry barrel kit that is coming for the seac caccia 90 on a new hunter 115 or even caccia 115 if the price is reasonable enough. decisions decisions!

The strange thing with these guns is that I easily get as many fish with the little 90cm as my double rubber 110 railgun, and it so much nicer and easier to dive with the comparatively tiny pneumatic. Seems to be more accurate too but that could just be a user thing.

Crusty

Hi Crusty,

do you live in sydney? if so you can come for a dive with me some time and try the guns out.

If you are in sydney then i would consider the Salvirmar vintair 115 and get the vuoto muzzle and new 130 spring stainless spear. but so far my vuoto 100 hasnt been bested by any pelajics.

Dont worry about service costs etc for these guns, the asso/vintairs are very simple, the kits cost around $15-20 and you can get some fork oil (for motorbikes) for $30 which will keep you in oil for the life of your gun. They are easy to service your self. (a service done by your self will cost less than a new rubber for your railgun.

The cyranos are a bit trickier for servicing.

Regarding barrel size 11mm if for 7mm and performs well when not using a drybarrel kit.
The 13 mm barrel is best in my opinion, more power with a dry barrel kit and can use 7mm or 8mm spears.

below is a video showing my vuoto in action.

Hi Gazz

That sounds like good advice, and I will definately take you up on the offer of a dive as well, so thanks! Looks like fantastic weather this weekend too, but I will be in NZ in the cold and wet. Will PM you next week maybe. I've seen some of your videos and those bigger airguns really seem to do the job. Dark side here I come...

Cheers

Carl

Reactions: Jegwan and Gazz
Gazz,can you give us the name and type of the oil that you use for lubrication in vouto?can i use this oil for lubricating the problematic gasket too?which pressure gauge suits to vouto?if possible can you put some pictures about the oil and the pressure gauge.there is few information about Salvimar Vouto in the internet because of this your opinions and advises are so valuable for us.

Gazz,can you give us the name and type of the oil that you use for lubrication in vouto?can i use this oil for lubricating the problematic gasket too?which pressure gauge suits to vouto?if possible can you put some pictures about the oil and the pressure gauge.there is few information about Salvimar Vouto in the internet because of this your opinions and advises are so valuable for us.

I use this : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOTUL-EX...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48689cad58

You can use 5w (i use 10w) oil for even better performance but you will have a greater chance of blowing a seal due to the thinner oil.

The vuoto gasket gets lubricated by the sea-water not oil.

1 Liter Motul Expert Fork Oil (10 W) just 30 $ 50-100 cl pneumatic gun oils are 10-15 euro in online stores :) good idea

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT