• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

W. Trubridge: Cheating death in the deep

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
The New Zealand Herald published a five page article about William Trubridge today:

Cheating death in the deep (+slideshow) - 07 Mar 2008 - NZ Herald: Life & Style News and Reviews from New Zealand and around the World

diver1.jpg
photo nzherald.co.nz

Thanks for the post, trux.Will really is a living legend in my book. Hoping to see the record fall this April. :mad:

Yep I agree. Whilst I think Will and all his achievements are fantastic, that article had some real sensationalist crap in it.

Great article! I'm truly amazed about his philosophy...he said the truth about freediving...First looking in the eyes of death and thn a huge will for living! Fanstastic guy..for me freediving is strictly connected to the mistical side..without it its just diving...

Yeah, the amount of references to death is a bit disturbing (to me). But still, nice article.

I like the bit about Will's on philosophy (even if it is not the same as mine), but theres a bit where it goes on to explaining how many deaths there are in freediving etc. It really leaves an impression that freedivers die by the thousands and are all infatuated with death. It would've been a nice countertone to mention for example that so far there's been no fatal accident in an AIDA event. Even no-limits deaths are in fact very few. It is correctly mentioned that these deaths are mostly solo divers, but I would've liked the a little more emphasis on the difference.

But still, nicely done. Eagerly awaiting the Blue Hole competition results...

Last edited:
In the article it says that Will does no cardio training, is that true?

"t would've been a nice countertone to mention for example that so far there's been no fatal accident in an AIDA event."
I don't like that, but I remind you the Brazil competition (open water). The accident didn't take place at the actual competition, I think, but rather at the trainings (may be not even official). (if I remember wrong, sorry)

Otherwise you are right - I don't recal lany other fatal accident on AIDA events, fortunately. (Should it stay like this! And actually this is possible, because of the safety rules.)

If I am right, the death in Brazil was during a CMAS competition. I can't find any sources on that but I recall reading here on DB somewhere. Maybe someone else can confirm that although I don't really want this thread straying too much away from the main topic.

Will seems to have a very insightful philosophy regarding his diving. The way I read the article it appears to me not that he is seeking death but that the awareness of his mortality in the extreme evironments into which he descends heightens his survival instinct. To reach a depth and to turn toward the surface is a great metaphor for the risks each one of us take to connect with life fully.
To engage life fully we must accept the possibility of death. To attempt success we must accept the the possibility of failure.

There seems to be a lot of talk of death, maybe it was his mood when the interview was done, maybe he was thinking, as I do occasionally, that if I am to go before my time, that this will be the better option? Maybe the press still love that Big Blue "call of the deep" image? One thing for sure, every one, scubies included, that I explain my sport to also think it's crazy and/or tempting death (the old brain cell comment). It's a good article, portrayed how the public think of the sport, and maybe abetted a little by William for the sake of publicity.

The title is a true misstep...
The slide show is amazing. all the best to you Will for the upcoming challenge in the Bahamas!
Pat

I think we should avoid putting it into the "media praised death seeking freediver" category. As well as i dislike the phenomenon of always trying to dramatise freediving by the media, it would be a shame if we could not relate freediving to death as we should be able to do it with any aspect of life.
Christophe

I've always thought it a shame that the 'younger' generation of future freedivers might be hampered very early on due to Parents reading too many articles linking freediving to death or extreme danger. I know if my Mum had read articles like that she would have been inclined to curtail my aquatic activities! As an 'experienced' freediver I like to think that I can read an article like that and not be unduly worried because I can see through the hype. Not so, perhaps, for the younger ones or their worried parents.

Reactions: Pastor
What William Trubridge is describing in the article is something called the 'death wish', which is a well known phenomenon that I first experienced in 2001.

The vast majority of freedivers have not experienced it, and someone who hasn't experienced it will read the article and think it is exaggeration or sensational.

Your unconscious mind seems to set a depth limit for you without your knowledge. If you try a very deep dive on a line, with safety in place, you can gradually get deeper and deeper. As your skill improves, and as your tolerance for pain & discomfort on the ascent improve, you get deeper and deeper.

Eventually, you seem to hit a wall, a depth beyond which your unconscious mind will not allow you to pass. You know that each time you hit that wall, the ascent is unbearably painful, and you barely make it back to the surface. To go beyond it is asking for it. In order to go beyond it, you need the 'death wish,' or the acceptance that going beyond that magic depth could put your safety in serious peril. Generally, the diver needs some sort of tremendous motivation to be able to break over the barrier. And it never changes, each time the diver goes beyond that depth, the death wish is required.

I know of several divers who never were able to conjure the death wish, and thus were never able to go beyond a certain depth. Women in particular seem to have 'more common sense' and thus are less likely to acquire the death wish.

I myself have only conjured the death wish on perhaps six or seven occasions.

What William Trubridge is describing in the article is something called the 'death wish', which is a well known phenomenon that I first experienced in 2001.

The vast majority of freedivers have not experienced it, and someone who hasn't experienced it will read the article and think it is exaggeration or sensational.

Your unconscious mind seems to set a depth limit for you without your knowledge. If you try a very deep dive on a line, with safety in place, you can gradually get deeper and deeper. As your skill improves, and as your tolerance for pain & discomfort on the ascent improve, you get deeper and deeper.

Eventually, you seem to hit a wall, a depth beyond which your unconscious mind will not allow you to pass. You know that each time you hit that wall, the ascent is unbearably painful, and you barely make it back to the surface. To go beyond it is asking for it. In order to go beyond it, you need the 'death wish,' or the acceptance that going beyond that magic depth could put your safety in serious peril. Generally, the diver needs some sort of tremendous motivation to be able to break over the barrier. And it never changes, each time the diver goes beyond that depth, the death wish is required.

I know of several divers who never were able to conjure the death wish, and thus were never able to go beyond a certain depth. Women in particular seem to have 'more common sense' and thus are less likely to acquire the death wish.

I myself have only conjured the death wish on perhaps six or seven occasions.

Great post! Thank you for it...it brings so much questions... And its so true..this is why only the best can look into the death's eyes and go deeper... Honestly i hope someday i will face such a decission...

I can say that I've experienced something similar to the "death wish" that Eric explained.
On some of my dives ,even in some dinamics , when i reach the faze of the dive when ,for example the contractions become VERY strong or in CWT when my lungs are crushed from pressure ,sometimes i say to myself:"what the hell,i'll go that couple of extra meters even if I don't surface......".
So, I totally agree with Eric that sometimes that's the thing you need to surpass your mental limits.

So in less mystical terms, to get over the huge co2 slammer and feelings of doom, you need to be well attached to life and have huge motivation. It is also healthy to acknowledge that the element of water brings with it an element of danger that needs to be respected. I get that.

But looking death into they eyes? Come on...Death doesn't have eyes to look at. It's just what happens when you stop living. No glory in it, just shutting down bodily functions. About as glorified as forgetting to fill the gas tank and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
you can never tell what the press will say. i sent in some stuff to a paper once where i even knew the editor. It pretty much said I was going for gold at the double dip and there was a good chance i would die trying. these seemed like direct quotes from me but all i had sent out was a general press release that had no quotes in it.

Reactions: Pastor
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT