• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wakatobi, Indonesia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nov 8, 2004
My dive club is planning a trip to Wakatobi next October. This is a island resort in Indonesia... the only place on the island for tourists. Looks WONDERFUL on the website... a terrific "house reef," boat taxis for any-time drift diving back to the beach... longer dives, too. Any one have any experience in these waters?

Hi, excellent choise! Are you just planning this trip, or did you book already? I have been there and will go back next November. After that I will try the new live aboard, the Pelagian has moved from Sorong to Wakatobi to sail the greater Wakatobi Area. I am really excited! I have been to several places around the globe, but I never saw what I have seen at Wakatobi. It starts with the resort, so remote and only reachable from Bali by plane. The resort, the staff - all is set for a dream holiday, all you have to do is relaxe and enjoy. And the diving: Beautiful healthy reefs, unlimited diving at an amazing house reef. I even saw 4 different kinds of pygmy seahorses! October has very good water conditions and I think it's even the warmest month as well. I wanted to go in October as well, but they were already fully booked. If you want more information, mail me at wouwsedivers@tiscali.nl. Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards, Karin

Last edited:
Thanks, Karin. Yes... trip is booked. My dive club (Blue Water Divers, New Jersey) has most of the resort reserved October 22 - 30... so it will be a nice party, too. I've done most of my diving in the Caribbean... this is my first trip to the Pacific region. I've read glowing reports like yours... and visited the wonderful photo gallery on their site. We are truly psyched! We will spend a few days in Bali and Singapore on our way back, since they are stops on the air route we'll be taking.

Wakatobi is being heavily promoted in the US at dive shows... so let's hope they don't succeed so much the experience is degraded.

Best,

DAVID
dcwarshaw@gmail.com

Hi David,

Yes, it's true Wakatobi is being heavily promoted in the US at dive shows.
No, they didn't succeed so much to degrade your experience!

I wouldn't mind if I was one of the participants in your group. Wow, with this trip you will make a combination of a short city stopover (at one of world's greatest cities) with the charms of Bali and the wonders of Wakatobi, which will leave you with incredible memories. Sounds really fantastic! You will have a marvellous time, I guarentee!

For myself, it's very rare I go twice to the same spot for a holiday. Now, that should count for something as well, doesn't it?

Please tell me all about your experiences once you're back!

Have fun!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT