• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wakatobi, Indonesia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nov 8, 2004
Just returned from 11-day trip to Wakatobi Dive Resort in a remote part of Sulawesi, Indonesia. This resort has received a lot of buzz at dive shows in the US and Europe... and it is worth every bit of it. Pristine reefs. 75-minute+ dives. Wonderful critters... including some exotics this Carribean diver never saw before (frog fish, crocodile fish, pygmy sea horses, etc). The operation is first rate, but not for those who are looking to do anything but dive. No phone. No TV. Nothing but diving, eating, talking about diving and sleeping. They recently purchased the Palagian live aboard, which also runs from the resort... but the land part is as good as alive-aboard. Very well organized dive operation. Food is good. The resort is 2-1/2 hours by charter flight from Bali, so is very remote. This is a problem for equipment repairs, though. When the nitrox generator broke, it was out for the rest of the trip as they only fly in once a week. Dive profiles are wonderful. Walls, sea mounts, coral gardens... with most dives spending the last 20 minutes in a veritable undersea zoo at only 10 feet... OR LESS. With ample surface intervals, deco should not be a problem (although a couple of our mates accomplished it by not watching carefully enough). The web site is excellent at www.wakatobi.com. We went as a group of 20 from our New Jersey dive club, Blue Water divers. A number of European and South African divers there as well. Couple of photos attached. Check it out!

Attachments

• WakatobiIMG_0085Reef (Medium).jpg
    WakatobiIMG_0085Reef (Medium).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 156
  • WakatobiIMG_0401PyramidButterflyCloud (Medium).jpg
    WakatobiIMG_0401PyramidButterflyCloud (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 149
  • WakatobiIMG_0047Reef (Medium).jpg
    WakatobiIMG_0047Reef (Medium).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149
  • WakatobiIMG_0008 (Medium).JPG
    WakatobiIMG_0008 (Medium).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 158
  • WakatobiPA210031 (Medium).JPG
    WakatobiPA210031 (Medium).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: bdurrett
Freediver81 said:
Sounds good!

Check out the Web Site..... They list the prices (I know because I looked too ;) ) without getting to Bali. From Bali, the flight to the island is included in the package. They have a private DASH-8 that they run from Bali to the island and back.....

I'm thinkin' 10th anniversary in a couple of years :D

Bret

bdurrett said:
Check out the Web Site..... They list the prices (I know because I looked too ;) ) without getting to Bali. From Bali, the flight to the island is included in the package. They have a private DASH-8 that they run from Bali to the island and back.....

I'm thinkin' 10th anniversary in a couple of years :D

Bret

My original question was, how much was the price? Then I looked in the site :duh !

A freediver that I know stayed at a beautiful Island in Indonesia for a month for $100 (he rented a local house and ate local food)

Said

looks great! i have planned twice to go diving in indonesia, and twice it hasn't worked out. i will make it there one day.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT