• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Walking apnea...whats wrong with me?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nickw

Oct 2, 2003
I have a couple basic questions on walking apnea if anybody could enlighten me...I would really appreciate any info.

Went to the beach today, sat down and relaxed while breathing slow getting in the 'groove'....hyperventilated twice, took a nice deep breath...stood up and was so dizzy and disoriented I almost passed out. I was stumbling down the beach like I was drunk....which soon passed and I was fine. So the next time I took a deep breath while standing up, same thing but not as severe. Is this normal? The same thing happens when I take a deep breath and pack while doing dry static, I get really light headed and have passed out a couple times. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, with walking...should I be trying for longer times, or further distances?
Thanks for the info guys...Im always glued to my computer reading about all the tips some of you give.

I think that's quite normal. Especially if you pack a lot, your blood pressure drops for a short time really low. If you combine this with trying to stand up at the same time, sure you will get light headed. Try to find the amount of packing that works for you. I wouldn't be too worried about a bit of light headedness, but blacking out is another thing...You might also try to wait 10-20 sec before standing up for the bp drop to pass?

I always go for time (pb 2:10) in my apnea walks. Distance would be really hard to measure and who cares anyway? The only reason I do it is to increase my "dynamic time". I'll measure the distance/depth in water :)

Packing can take some getting used to - I used to do only about two packs and it was hard not to pass out, but now I can pack to the max, even standing, witn no problems.

Lucia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT