• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Walleye!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andrsn

Just visiting...
Aug 26, 2001
Season opened for Sport Fish in Lake McCanaughy, NB the other day!

Both Walleye were just over 10lbs. Hunting was deep (about 40-50 feet) in 4-8 feet of vis. Water temp was about 63F at the surface.

Anderson

Mine...

Nice Andrsn!

Always wanted to do some freshwater spearfishing!

Taste good?

Yeah nice fish dude but i impressed more with your shot;) Almost a brain shot. How far is it? Which gun did you used

hi

I feel your sorry for your vis there Ando, luckinly you held that fish up close I we might have lost it with that nuclear vis :D

cheers

Murat... a little 55cm Sporasub Aspic.

Ivan... no doubt. I'm not used to having the vis justify what size gun to use. :D

A

Looks like home sweet home :D. Nice stick anderson. 40-50 feet....fun fun fun. We rarely find fish in more than 25 feet. Was there actually vegetation that far down, or did you find those fish swimming over the cobble? Wish we could take the white-tips in Wisconsin. We make due with the bluegill and crappies. No where near as much meat as the walleye, but every bit as tasty. In my experience, walleye are harder and easier to hunt than other fw fish. On the one hand, they don't seem to spook as easily. But on the other, they have NO curiosity, so you have to find them (they rarely come to you). Having experienced the low vis, can you understand my quest for my little mid-handle ;)? When they suddenly appear out of the corner of your eye, you're happy to be able to one-hand it 90 degrees.

I hope to be able to skip on out to the Dakotas this September and plug some of their gamefish. Jon and I pull our hair out when we struggle all day to stick enough panfish for the family, while all the while granting immunity to the 10 lb walleye and smallies.

Any of you Euro fellas go after the Zanders?

Ted

On the one hand, they don't seem to spook as easily

Which translates to:

" I can swim up and flick them in the nose with my finger to get them out of my way."

Same thing with the fat bass that we have to give amnesty to everytime they swim by.:(

THe fish seem to "know" if they're on the the shopping list or not. There are times where we almost have to push all of the bass out of the way to get a good shot at the crappie hanging out in the back.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT