• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

wannabe snorkeling instructor

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
That's too bad, a dive guide sounds like a great gig. You could always switch from goggles to one of these....:):):)

Just having fun...get better soon.
Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• Kirby.jpg
    Kirby.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 265
Speaking of mangosteen, I discovered a bottle of Mucostop in my room. (Another natural supplement). I will try it, and let you know how it goes.

the smoke thing seems a bit irrational to me. with a moving boat, the wind will never blow smoke from the back of the boat anywhere but off the back. think about it and let me know what you decide, either way. if you really are that phobic, you will have to work inside only. since smoking cant be outlawed outdoors. if you want to resign yourself to working in some stuffy office, just to avoid smoke, thus failing to live out your dreams. that seems a little silly, no? one thing IS certain, _you will die someday anyway. what did william wallace say?(or atleast mel gibson in braveheart)? everyone dies, but not everyone lives. i for one, decided i like diving and spearfishing enough to sacrifice a well paying careere in the northeast, to live in key west and be broke. and i wouldnt change a thing! i AM living my dreams. you should do the same. you only live once, and the starting bell HAS rung already, - times moving along, are you?

the smoke thing seems a bit irrational to me. with a moving boat, the wind will never blow smoke from the back of the boat anywhere but off the back. think about it and let me know what you decide, either way. if you really are that phobic, you will have to work inside only. since smoking cant be outlawed outdoors. if you want to resign yourself to working in some stuffy office, just to avoid smoke, thus failing to live out your dreams. that seems a little silly, no? one thing IS certain, _you will die someday anyway. what did william wallace say?(or atleast mel gibson in braveheart)? everyone dies, but not everyone lives. i for one, decided i like diving and spearfishing enough to sacrifice a well paying careere in the northeast, to live in key west and be broke. and i wouldnt change a thing! i AM living my dreams. you should do the same. you only live once, and the starting bell HAS rung already, - times moving along, are you?

Yes that makes sense :) I told that to my mom (that because the boat is moving the smoke wouldn't move from the back to the front) and she said "that's not the case at all, it would still move to the front if the wind is blowing strong enough" I am more likely to listen to you than her though. She is a landlubber and knows nothing about boats lol!

Next time I visit Key West I will check it out!

Ick. Now that my doctor has ordered no breathholding (temporary lung damage), I won't be a very good snorkeling instructor :(

I can tell the person "when you go down you go like this, then you do this", but unless I can actually demonstrate, people will just get confused.

Ick. Now that my doctor has ordered no breathholding (temporary lung damage), I won't be a very good snorkeling instructor :(
Not necessarily true. Teaching is skill/gift/calling unto itself. Anyway, most beginners/holidaymakers that snorkel, just fin around at the surface breathing through their snorkels (which usually have purge valves these days) and don't breath-hold at all - I have 2 such in my family!

That said, I was taught to swim by a headteacher who could not herself swim and, in hindsight, she probably set me (and the rest of the class) back years!:D She used to shout "kick harder, kick harder", no matter how hard we kicked - it took me years to discover that a gentle flutter kick is much more streamlined, effective, faster and requires much less oxygen/deep breathing.

Sorry to hear about the lung damage Lil Dragonfly :( - glad to see the work "temporary" in there ;).

Last edited:
If you would like to come to PA for a weekend I can certify you in Lifeguard and CPR for the professional rescuer if you would like. (about $90)

Not necessarily true. Teaching is skill/gift/calling unto itself. Anyway, most beginners/holidaymakers that snorkel, just fin around at the surface breathing through their snorkels (which usually have purge valves these days) and don't breath-hold at all - I have 2 such in my family!

Boring! I have no interest in teaching that.

Sorry to hear about the lung damage Lil Dragonfly :( - glad to see the work "temporary" in there ;).

Thank you Mr. X :)

My quack said it would be temporary- he lied. The good news is, it can be controlled, and the part about me not being allowed to breathhold until it "heals" is probably bunk. Going to a different doctor soon, we will see what happens.

If you would like to come to PA for a weekend I can certify you in Lifeguard and CPR for the professional rescuer if you would like. (about $90)

Awesome!

Someday when I have money for a plane ticket and a hotel I will do that.

Boring! I have no interest in teaching that.

I think there'sa fair bit of confusion i this thread, at least there is for me. Mr.X just described what snorkelling is, and although your thread is about the desire to TEACH snorkelling, you just said you're not interested in it.

Now I have to ask, are you looking to magically enter the world of instructing freediving without the proper qualifications then??

Reactions: apneaboy
I think there'sa fair bit of confusion i this thread, at least there is for me. Mr.X just described what snorkelling is, and although your thread is about the desire to TEACH snorkelling, you just said you're not interested in it.

Now I have to ask, are you looking to magically enter the world of instructing freediving without the proper qualifications then??

I should probably elaborate.

The way I see it, there are 3 seperate things:

-surface snorkeling (what bores me)
-snorkeling with short breathhold dives (aka skin diving)
-snorkeling with long breathhold dives (aka freediving).

I would rather teach skin diving than freediving-freediving because, I want to introduce people to the underwater world for the first time.

I don't plan on teaching any breathholding techniques. But hey, you'd be suprised how many people can't even get to the bottom of a 6-foot pool. For instance, on another forum I was talking to a friend who "couldn't go down no matter how shallow". I asked him what was the problem, and we chatted back and forth. Well it turns out he was trying to go down not headfirst, but butt-first! rofl

do you have any qualifications to teach? it's one thing to know how to snorkel/freedive but being able to effectivly teach it is another thing.
a lot of the instructor courses aren't about the subject but how to teach,group control,problem solve,risk management, and a hole lot of other boring stuff you need to know.
unfortunatly in this modern world you will need a qualification to be taken seriously.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT