• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Warm up techniques for running

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Warm up techniques?

• Stretch first, then jog for a few minutes, then run

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Jog first, slowly build up to a run, then stretch afterwards

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Stretch, jog for about 10, stretch again, then run..

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • HATE RUNNING

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA nooooo i am not really an exhibitionist... (unless i drink loads of beer).
:friday :friday

My choice was not on the list:

This is what I do:
- Don't stretch
- Run (sprinting right off the bat)
- Don't stretch

No warm up, no cool down, no stretching before, no stretching after. It's what I call optimum use of time... :)

I probably should stretch, but I never bother! :)

Hiya all

Regarding stretching, it's important to stretch both before and after a run. Stretching after a run is important to assist flexibility, and therefore muscle strength.
Regarding intensity of exercise, I disagree with with HIT to get rid of weight. It's been proven that low intensity excercise over a longer period reduces weight, as opposed to HIT.

Having said this, I am not a qualified in the field of sports science...just advice I've been given over the years.:confused:

A lot of woman have shown concern about weight training, scared that they will end up with muscle...but thats also apparently unfounded. A top SA sports scientist ( Prof. Tim Noakes) once said that you will only develop muscle if you are genetically 'engineered' to do so. I'm a case in point. In my 20's, I did weight training with protein muscle builder drinks for years to try and build weight, and I just stayed at my 70kg, with muscle definition changing.

Cheers

Jeff:D

In my 20's, I did weight training with protein muscle builder drinks for years to try and build weight, and I just stayed at my 70kg, with muscle definition changing.

hell Jeff! I bet Jo Weider was happy :)

Ok Sarah here is the deal:

The amount of KJ you burn in a day must exceed the amount of KJ you consume.

Low intensity training will burn less KJ per hour than HIT and you will recruit a higher percentage of this energy from fat.

If you have 30 mins to train and want max weight loss the HIT will far exceed low intensity as far a KJ consumption.

If on the other hand you have a few hours to play with daily, you might want to use a lower intensity as this will allow you to recover faster on a day to day basis. Longer endurance training is very important to maintain your heart and lungs in tip-top condition.

As far as muscle building is concerned, i doubt that you will gain that much muscle unless you follow a strict muscle building programme, in which case you will probably keep the same size body parts, but i higher percentage of that will be muscle tissue.

This will all be thrown down the pan if you dont eat a reduced KJ diet as you will grow muscle and not lose fat, in which case HULK HOGANS 24 inch Pythons beware ;)

On another note: I fully condone running naked down the beach only if under strict supervision of a qualified sports scientist ;)

Good on you sands! So many women here freak out about the whole weight thing even though they look rockin.

Erik, I had a squad leader that used to run like that, no stretching what so ever. Used to p!$$ me off so bad.

On another note: I fully condone running naked down the beach only if under strict supervision of a qualified sports scientist

nice one shane! :D

Last edited:
I almost never stretched before or after exercise and have done so since forever. I almost never felt muscle pain from exercise.
But I'm not much of a sportsman. :) (Freediving=fun, not sports;))
I have a friend who has done much more sport in his life than I, and has the same expirience with no stretching and no muscle aches.
Maybe you get muscle aches only after they got used to being pampered?

I dont know Michael, maybe if you are pampered you dont ignore the pain, but the biochemical reaction and proccess that occurs post streuous excersice is the same regardless of wether you are an olympic sprinter or just your average Joe. the only thing that would be different is the intensity of the reaction, but we all have the same enzymes and biochemicals that are distribuited throught your body after excercise. thank god i paid attention in AP Bio :hmm

Well, there's logic, and there's what we feel and see. Sometimes logic has to adapt. :)
Ofcourse I can overdo something and hurt my muscles. But compared with other people doing the same stuff (when I was in highschool for example, where you have a large group to compare to), me and that friend (who come from both ends of the fitness spectrum) were more immune to that than others.

What's the principle behind stretching anyway?
And when you say stretching, which do you mean? passive or active? (am not speaking about rib-cage-lung-diaphragm steetching).

Heard that stretched muscles consume less O2 (good for freediving).
Also heard that passive stretching will cause temporarly reduced power output (bad for freediving?).
I don't know what stands logic behind those statements, or if they are true...

Can anyone offer some answers? :)

The logic behind stretching before excersice is to get blood going through your muscles so that way you reduce the possibility of injury. stretchins should be done everytime, even when working out in a gym. example: if you are going to benchpress 50kgs then do a set of just the bar to get your blood going. im sure murat can atest to this. also stretching prior to excersise loosens up any sore muscles. also stretching prior to any activity reduces the risk of cramps during the activty.

stretching after strenous activity is to prevent soreness and increase flexibility. this gets blood pyruvates (i might be mistaken with the name) moving through your body instead of having them concentrated in a localized muscle group and prevents and reduces soreness, plus it avoids cramps and promotes proper bloodflow.

also by stretching it is reported that it prevents damage to joints and tendons.

aslo, common sense dictates that if you are injured and making a comeback, a stretch before you engage in any activity will let you know if your body is up to it.

in terms of oxygen consumption, stretching allows your muscles to reach their peak performance faster, thus affecting your oxygen consumption

I disagree with high intensity vs. low intensity for fat burning.

It has been shown that the calories burned DURING exercise are quite insignificant. The primary increase in calories burned for an active person are the calories burned during the day, not during the exercise. After exercise, your metabolic rate remains elevated for the rest of the day, and even the next day as well.

It has been shown that resistance training is very effective at raising the metabolic rate, during the post-exercise period. So, given that most of the calories are burned in the post-exercise 48 hours, it is not immediately obvious which type of exercise would result in the most calories burned...

Further, if you are on a low carb diet, you force the body into fat burning, which is less efficient, so results in more calories burned per day as well.

i strech just before training and pump blood to the targeted mucle groups with light weights. And i do strech after every exercise or sometimes after 2 sets sometimes after every one set. Streching makes your mucle groups more flexible thus you can make them bigger easier and it also prevents cramps and injuries..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT