• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Warmest Socks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i'm jealous

'been to a lake training that weekend and my hands and feet nearly froze again... i wore two layers of 3mm socks but in the 8°C water this is simply not enough. a pity that i didn't order elios socks when i ordered my suit.

sniff.:waterwork

Hmmm, I went for Elios socks as well and have 3mm and 5mm socks. I have been using them in 4-12 degree celcius water so far and to tell you the truth, I have not been that impressed. First after all the wonderful tailoring used on their suits, they sew the sock as two halfs of the same pattern. Meaning you have the seam running down the middle of the foot, which does not form fit at all. Due to the flexibility of the material if you get a snug size, then yes it does sit ok, but walking on them my foot constantly wants to slide inside so that I am walking on the side of the sock. I imagine it would be easier to walk in a form fitted open-cell sock as opposed to these. Maybe Elios does a different sew than this, but they didn't tell me about it? Donna is this the same on yours?

Second, my feet are always what cause me to feel the need to stop my dive still with 5mm and another pair of standard neoprene 2mm socks. However, in 6-8 degrees I was often still out there for 45min to an hour and a half, so maybe that is a reasonable amount of time before the inevitable. Maybe I am just forgetting what it used to feel like when I only wore the standard neoprene socks.

Third, my socks, being size 46, run half-way up my shins and are too large for my Canadian size 12-13 foot. I worry every time I put them on that I might tear my suit as I fold up the leg to get the sock on under the suit. Anneko has size 42 which also seem a little large for her foot but don't run as high on the shins. I put her socks on and might take that size next time if I went for these socks again, since they are snug and fit as I would expect the sock to, a little short on the toes though maybe.

I would really like to hear if others have found a nice fitting Elios sock and how you achieved ordering it (special request, material, sizing, cost, pattern)?

That being said, their 3 finger open-cell kanoko gloves are wonderful, and of course same with their suits.

Last edited:
Tyler, have you tried the Picasso socks? In 5C or more I'm warm indefinately. I imagine the Omer 5/6mm ones are even warmer, but I haven't compared them.

Looking forward to more feedback on the Elios socks!
Aaron

No I have not tried the Picasso socks. I should borrow some from somebody one day. Will let you know when I do. What materials inner/outer are they?

Here's what Picasso says about the socks I have (5mm termic);
---New anatomic design. Nylon outside. Combined BioTermic and Nylon lining inside. Sole covered with abrasion proof Kanoco material for maximum protection.---
The nylon on the inside is only on the sole to make it last longer.

They've also got a 7mm open cell sock now, and this is all open cell inside. Once again according to Picasso USA; ---The 7mm Microporoso Neoprene socks are super warm and ideal for very cold water diving, as they are Nylon outside and Open Cell inside only.---

This info is from the Picasso USA site at http://www.picassoamerica.com/index.php

Aaron

Tyler... As far as I am aware, my socks are not taylor made from Elios. They do have the seam running down the middle but to be honest this hasn't bothered me, although I did think it a bit strange when I first saw it. I only have a size 37 foot and Elios gave me sock options and once I'd said what I wanted they sent me the size to fit my foot and they are a good fit.

Maybe wearing them inside out is not such a stupid thing to do after all - I have the lining on the inside and after my dive yesterday my feet weren't even wet. Plus, my feet don't slide around on the lining either although some of the blue dye transfers onto my feet :D But when i received my socks, they weren't delivered lining side out so maybe I am wearing them the right way...I'm confused....

May sound silly, but why don't you put your socks on before you put your suit on and slide your trousers over the socks rather than trying to roll the legs up? If you trousers are soaped up enough, they slide over the sock easily - well it does on my inside out ones anyway :D

Donna

Aaron,

How did you do with the Picasso sock sizing? I bought two pair and they weren't even close to fitting my feet- yet my Picasso blogves, mitts, and suits fit fine. I ended up selling one pair to Ted, who loves them, and another pair to another friend who has had good luck with them. THey look like good socks, but the sizing?:confused:

I also have an older pair of 5mm Esclapez socks that are opencell on the inside and nylon outside. They are nice, but didn't seem to keep me as warm as my OMER socks.

Jon

The sizing on the Picasso socks is totally screwed up. Fortuneately I knew this before ordering, and ordered accordingly. I think basicly the socks only fit the lowest size listed at the max, maybe half a size more at most. For instance I have size 9 feet, and I ordered a Picasso size 3 sock, supposed to fit a size 8.5-10.5. They BARELY fit me! In fact the sole portion dosn't quite reach my heel. If I didn't wear sandals, I'm sure I'd wreck them in no time. If my foot had even been a 9.5 there's no way it would've fit me, and yet that would've put me smack in the middle of their sizing table for that sock.

I would recommend (at least for the 5mm socks) that buying one size larger than you think you need will likely work well. Possibly they've fixed this problem with their new 7mm socks, however I haven't heard anything to indicate this. Probably a call to Roger at Picasso USA would be best in order to get his opinion on your foot. Contact him by phone or email here: http://www.picassoamerica.com/contact_us.php

One more point that is worth mentioning, the Picasso termic socks don't have a seal on the outside. So if you wear them under your wetsuit legs, then water will creep in due to the fact that your wetsuit can't seal against the sock. This is the primary reason for my consideration of the OMER socks, however I don't know how the OMER socks compare to the Picasso socks for warmth.

Hope this helps!
Aaron

I am a 9.5, I did buy the size 3's, and Roger was the one who sold them to me.

The OMER's have been much better, as far as sizing and warmth goes, but now that my new suit is SO much warmer than any other suit I have ever owned, I feel like my feet are being left out.;)

Jon

I have Cressi-sub socks, and theyre so warm and nice and snug that I sometimes dont feel the water... Theyre incredible, and im so happy i bought them, but I need some gloves...
BTW are the Cressi Competition wetsuit a good choice?

Have you all checked out the Pro Freediving Sock at www.spearfishinggear.com ? It comes in 5mm so I don't know if that is thick enough for some of the very cold water diving you do, but it does seem to have a good seal on it.

Those are the socks that I already have.

They seemed warm enough with my Super-comp, but they just don't match up anymore with my new Elios wetsuit.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT