• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Watch for freediving/spearfishing... NEED HELP!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jackie_S

Sep 8, 2016
Hi everyone! My boyfriend has just recently gotten into spearfishing and is working on breathing techniques to become a recreational free diver. He told me yesterday what he wants for his birthday (in December) is a depth finder watch, but I have no idea what to get that is worth the price. Any suggestions/advice you can provide would be much appreciated. I'm trying to understand everything to give him something that is cost effective and useful/practical. This would be his first watch like this, so please also keep in mind he is technically a novice.

THANK YOU!

Jackie

Jackie, the watch you get him should offer maximum depth of the dive and dive time, water temperature, and surface interval. The surface interval feature is very important since most "experts" recommend an interval of at least twice the time of your dives, and this lets you see it. Most divers who try to estimate stay on the surface far less then twice the dive times.

I've been very happy with my Aeris f.10. It offers all the features that he will need, and has a battery that is easily user replaceable. Aeris makes an f.11 model now and it has a few more whistles and bells that might appeal to serious competitive freedivers, but its also more expensive.

You might try makospearguns.com for your purchase. I'm not sure that they are still doing it, but when I bought mine you could call and get a lower price than the one listed on the web site. If they balk, tell them that I sent you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackie_S
Jackie, the watch you get him should offer maximum depth of the dive and dive time, water temperature, and surface interval. The surface interval feature is very important since most "experts" recommend an interval of at least twice the time of your dives, and this lets you see it. Most divers who try to estimate stay on the surface far less then twice the dive times.

I've been very happy with my Aeris f.10. It offers all the features that he will need, and has a battery that is easily user replaceable. Aeris makes an f.11 model now and it has a few more whistles and bells that might appear to serious competitive freedivers, but its also more expensive.

You might try makospearguns.com for your purchase. I'm not sure that they are still doing it, but when I bought mine you could call and get a lower price than the one listed on the web site. If they balk, tell them that I sent you. :)

THANK YOU! :)

You're welcome. I'm a bit surprised that no one else replied as there have been extensive threads about Freedive watches, but maybe people just feel that the topic has been covered.

I'm always uncomfortable when mine is the only opinion offered but in this case I don't think I could be steering you too far wrong. I'd say that the majority of divers on my boat wear the f.10.

Reactions: Jackie_S
I am sorry if this is something I could have found by searching through some of the forums, but I really wouldn't even know what to begin looking for other than dive + watch. :unsure:

Thank you again for all of your help!

Hi, I am glad to hear that you find the F10 a good watch..... because I ordered one last week
I spent a lot of time comparing the watches out there and it seems to have everything a Freediver could ask for.
Can't wait to get it under the water

I also just got the F.10. So far I like it - using it for pool practice and dry breath hold practice. But I have not had the opportunity to use it at depth. Update - just got back from a deep pool - 13 feet.
I'm pleased to report that the F.10 is super easy to use in "freedive" mode. Just put it in freedive mode by a single button press - and you are good to go. It automatically "knows" when you start a dive by the pressure gauge and starts timing the dive. When you return to the surface it also knows that and stops the timer. Simply look at you screen to see you max depth and time of the previous dive. Then dive again - nothing to press- it starts timing your second dive. Too easy!
I'm gonna love this watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Divingin
Hi everyone! My boyfriend has just recently gotten into spearfishing and is working on breathing techniques to become a recreational free diver. He told me yesterday what he wants for his birthday (in December) is a depth finder watch, but I have no idea what to get that is worth the price. Any suggestions/advice you can provide would be much appreciated. I'm trying to understand everything to give him something that is cost effective and useful/practical. This would be his first watch like this, so please also keep in mind he is technically a novice.

THANK YOU!

Jackie
Hi - I'm in a similar boat to your boyfriend in that I spearfish and haven't had a diving watch before. I'm afraid I have very little actual experience to offer of any watches but have just spent a good deal of time looking around for one myself. The F10 is a great watch and many of my friends have it. I gather the Cressi Drake is a good option too. Of course the Suunto novo D4i is among the best if you can afford it. Personally I went for the OMER UPX1R when I was looking around because of cost for the complete package (and possibly because I like to be different).

There's not a whole lot out there on the OMER watch and some of the Deeper Blue members had some trouble with the heart rate monitor and things... I still bought it though and am desperately hoping that the newer rechargeable version will have these issues ironed out. I really do think that the price is good for what you get.

Bear in mind that lots of the watches need a separate cable or transmitter if you are to connect them to the computer. From looking around, that cable can cost up to 30% of the price of the watch. The UPX1 (and the rechargeable version that I went for with the 'R') comes with the cable/charger included. I got mine for £268 using amazon. I can't say how good it is since I don't have it yet but I like how it looks. The cable is important for me because I love to track progress and obsess over detail... I'm a bit of a nerd really.

Hope that is helpful!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT