• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

water in the nose

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

schweller

Jun 17, 2004
hi.
sorry if my question seems stupid... but i'd like to learn any ways to prevent water pouring up my nose while diving without mask or nose-clip.

any thoughts?

Just learn to keep your soft pallate shut!
Try read the famous frenzelFattah.doc .
I believe efattah still spreads it on his website.
Otherwise try a search on frenzel in the training forum.
It will not prevent water from getting into your nose but will keep your upper respiratory tract from getting flooded entirely.
Get used to the feeling of water in your nose. It doesn´t hurt. ...
as long as you don´t i n h a l e....
Also get a good suctioncup-thing
(a handle to carry windowglass) and glue yourself to the bottom of a pool.
Experiment!!!! water won´t hurt you.
Just make sure to follow rule number one:
NEVER DIVE ALONE!!!!

erasmus

P.S.: By the way ...Yes the qoustion seems entirely stupid but this is what this forum was made for.

Hi schweller; welcome to the forum.

Do you like a challenge (pia) or a quick n' dirty (easy) remedy?

Challenge:
The air in your nasal cavity is subject to the same laws of physics as all compressible gases. When you dive, water pressure compresses your 'nose air' and it takes up less space.....which creates a vaccuum.....which draws in the medium near the nose.....and that medium is water. Air can't be 'pulled' from your lungs because you would have sealed your throat (it better be, or your dive won't last long). The only way to counter this would be to repeatedly relax your throat and slip air from your lungs into your nasal cavity to 'push' the water back out. It would be quite a balancing act trying to do this while intermittently equalizing.

Quick n' Dirty (and easy):
Continuously keep a hand on your nose.

Last edited:
There you go ...
Just blow out your nose a little and thenhold it.
No water in the nostrils...
Try it with your head down!

thanx, erasmus and unirdna.

***erasmus

i meant especially the feeling of water in the nostrils. there are no problems with keeping my respiratory tract safe and... mmm... "dry" (sorry for my rusty english, it's not my native language).
strange thing: salt water doesn't hurt me at all, but lake/pool water is a complete difference.

***unirdna

yeah, i remember, i've heared about it.
how long should it be practiced until success?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT