• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Waterway Capt. Nemo Lite/Carbon Fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

antispun

May 23, 2016
Hey everyone, I've been searching for my first pair of non-plastic fins and while digging have found a lot of negatives about most brands regarding their re-branding and inconsistencies. For the price range I'm looking at Waterways seems to be a safe bet to get a quality product for the best price. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with their Lite composite fins and if so what stiffness? Also curious about their carbon fins as they're only around $40 more. A couple factors have drawn me to waterways... if anyone has another suggestion please let me know but I don't want to be spammed out by vendors with biased views seeking a gain. First, they seem to be a company solely focused on their fins and take pride in it. Second, their glass is done with pressing method instead of vacuum which I've read makes them near bulletproof in the composite mix. Finally is how they shave down the blades in different grades to create a progressive flex in the composite blades (I didn't see this on carbon but maybe still implemented?).

I'm around 150lb and 6ft so was leaning towards the #2 stiffness. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Which fins did you go with?

I got the #2 nemo lites in fiberglass. Very pleased with them! Tapered off in layers so the tips are much softer & the footpockets are nice & stiff. Seem like they'll hold up for years to come. Definietely different from other fiberglass fins I've seen, you can see the weave in the sun they almost look like carbons when the light catches just right.

Reactions: Rock Shooter
I got the #2 nemo lites in fiberglass. Very pleased with them! Tapered off in layers so the tips are much softer & the footpockets are nice & stiff. Seem like they'll hold up for years to come. Definietely different from other fiberglass fins I've seen, you can see the weave in the sun they almost look like carbons when the light catches just right.

Nice. If they are anything like their fiberglass Power Fins, I think they will prove very, very durable. I am looking at their new carbon blades but haven't seen any feedback on them yet.

Nice. If they are anything like their fiberglass Power Fins, I think they will prove very, very durable. I am looking at their new carbon blades but haven't seen any feedback on them yet.

The price difference isn't very much I bet their carbons are really nice too (they look amazing in pics). I only went with the fiberglass because of durability concerns. Most of my dives are in shallow water and a good deal from shore. Once I'm a better diver I might invest in some carbons, but til then I enjoy kicking off the reef etc without worrying about scratches etc. Also the weight difference isn't much between their glass and carbons. My fiberglass fins are noticeably lighter than others I've picked up.

Talking with Bogdan through email, I can tell that waterways is a company focused on fins and that's their core they take pride in. I can't see any fins from them coming out bad compared to other companies who are more focused on having the most products to offer etc!

Honestly, I don't think the difference between your fiberglass and the carbons would be THAT much. I am only looking at the carbons because I have the no-angle fiberglass and I have found I prefer the angle. Also, I'm going to be using them only for freediving.
Yes, Bogdan has been really helpful for me as well.
Cheers

Honestly, I don't think the difference between your fiberglass and the carbons would be THAT much. I am only looking at the carbons because I have the no-angle fiberglass and I have found I prefer the angle. Also, I'm going to be using them only for freediving.
Yes, Bogdan has been really helpful for me as well.
Cheers

Hey
The no angle fiberglass from Waterway that you said that you had: did you use the Captain Nemo footpockets and if so how were they?

Can you say why you preferred the angle as opposed to flat?

Any feedback on the carbons if you got em and on the fiberglass in general?

Are the foot pockets comfortable enough? You still getting on alright with the fiberglass lites?

I've been using #2 captain Nemo's in Omer millennium foot pockets for roughly ten years.
Solid choice around rocks.
Quite a few scratches on my pair but still going strong.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT