• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

WaterWay Nemo-Wing Monofin vs Leaderfins Freediving LF Black Monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hondo

Sep 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am looking to upgrade to either a WaterWay Nemo-Wing Monofin or a Leaderfins Freediving LF Black Monofin and would like some feedback as to which one is better and why.

I currently use a Finis Rapid for recreational snorkeling and occasional dives. (dives are no more than 30 feet -so far) Lately I have been challenging myself and diving more and more and seem to be developing a passion for it. I am 5'10' and weigh 215 lbs. I have a very strong kick and am looking for something durable and sturdy that provides me with the best propulsion.

What do you all think?

It looks like the Leaderfins mono doesn't have much blade angle on it. I think the Nemo has about 12 degrees, which isn't much either, but the Leaderfin appears to be almost flat (looking at the pictures). For freediving, more angle is good for the glide performance and overall streamlining of the diver.

Reactions: neurodoc
Thank you for your input. Do you have any recommendations? in the 2-3 hundred dollar price range?

I had a Nemo for quite a while and used it very often. It is a very comfortable fin and very durable; both being major issues for many conventional fins. My suggestion would be to first try to find a deal on a fin with more angle, as swimming without angle can encourage poor form that takes much time to correct later. This is worsened by choosing a fin that is quite stiff. Angled fins are often available used; the most critical aspect is foot size and a workable fit. You also will need to identify what types of swims you intend to use it for. As an example, I have a Waterways freedive fin made for competition or sprint with a #5 carbon blade. While it is blazingly fast and very fun at first, that ends after about 20 minutes with foot pain, cramps and numbness at about 35-40 minutes. This is normal fit for a sprint or competition fin, as the rubber foot pocket is tuned to the blade stiffness. Stiffer blades need stiffer foot pockets that fit tightly. Softer blades, longer swims, softer foot pockets, less speed. So, though you are strong, that really isn't the determining factor as much as what your intended use is. How long do you intend each swim to last? The hydrofoil blade type fins that use cycling shoes offer the best compromise or flexibility with best comfort but cost more than what you're budgeting.

Reactions: Erik
the nemo is an excellent recreational fin. I've owned two - both are still being used. My dive buddy has one of mine and it is more than 7 years old. Get a soft fin. It does not matter how badass you think you are, hard fins are for sprinting or depth > 40 meters - they are not efficient for most diving. All my fins are soft. The Nemo foot pockets are comfortable if you size them right - plan on 3 mil neoprene socks with them. I was able to wear my nemo fins indefinitely - longest was about 4 hours but it was because I got cold, not because my feet hurt. Alternatively - if you have the $$ consider the Smith Aerospace Dol-fin Pilot - it will never wear out, uses cycling shoes for a perfect fit, and is an excellent recreational fin - more efficient than the Nemo.

Last edited:
Reactions: neurodoc
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT