• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Waterway Nemo Wing seems to have no angle.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

noneofmany

May 4, 2012
So I just got my nemo wing a few days ago, after months of deliberations about what to get.

I unpackaged the fin to examine it and it all seemed right at first, but when I looked at the angle of the fin I realized it was completely flat, with the tip of the fin sitting up as high as the toe pads. I wondered if this was a temporary issue caused by the packaging, but after several days and some good flexing it seems exactly the same.

When I was in the pool it seemed to point strait out towards my toes and it was hard to keep it strait back.

I hve never used a monofin before this so I can't really compare it to anything else, but the angle seems like allot less than in some of the pictures I've seen of it.

If anyone out there has a nemo wing and could look at where the blade tip is relative to the sole of the foot and toes I'd appreciate a comparison.

I think I can upload images if I have to but if some can tell me their like that then I'll know anyway.

Also the foot pocket size I got was too small for me but I doubt that would explain the angle being high. Just a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

No real angle on my Captain Nemo if looking from toes and out... If you look at bottom it is clear that there's no angle half way up the footpocket. Like on the picture here (allthough it seems slighty more angled):

http://www.waterwayfins.com/index.p...&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

The footpocket is however rounded near the heals, approximately 12 degrees as promised. Wether or not you consider that a "real" fotpocket angle, I leave to you to decide... But it does allow a better angle, because the feet can bend, so for me it is real, even if it's only half the footpocket.

It is not optimal regarding streamlining. But at the moment I'm happy with my monofin, considering the nice low price and it's my first buy...

Only thing for me is, that stiffness 2 is perhaps a tiny bit too stiff, but I think stifness 1 would have been too soft.

I find the footpockets to be rather big in sizes compared to my cressi fins...

A question for you, if you don't mind: Is the upper area nicely painted, and the bottom arear "rough" so you can see the layers? Looks cool, but I'm thinking it might create drag (probably not a lot anyway).

Normal for the bottom of the fin to have more texture - seen in hyperfins as well - it is the lamination of the blade. The Nemo is a fine fin. I used one for a couple of years - it was my first mono fin.

At one point, thanks to laminar here on DB, I had a quantum leap in technique that really about doubled the performance of the fin. Effective angle of the blade is about 11-12 degrees. Softer is better. I've used both the hardest and the softest blade on the Nemo (owned both at the same time). I liked the hard one because it was quieter - but the soft one is better for recreational diving. My Nemos are now on the second and third owners - they hold up very well.

Take your time and learn the fin - it's worth it.

PS - during glide let your back arch a bit - and/or let go the knees a little - fins with a small angle require a bit more of this but it is not a big deal. You'll also get more out of the downstroke if you load up with some arch in your back.

Last edited:
No real angle on my Captain Nemo if looking from toes and out... If you look at bottom it is clear that there's no angle half way up the footpocket. Like on the picture here (allthough it seems slighty more angled):

http://www.waterwayfins.com/index.p...&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

The footpocket is however rounded near the heals, approximately 12 degrees as promised. Wether or not you consider that a "real" fotpocket angle, I leave to you to decide... But it does allow a better angle, because the feet can bend, so for me it is real, even if it's only half the footpocket.

It is not optimal regarding streamlining. But at the moment I'm happy with my monofin, considering the nice low price and it's my first buy...

Only thing for me is, that stiffness 2 is perhaps a tiny bit too stiff, but I think stifness 1 would have been too soft.

I find the footpockets to be rather big in sizes compared to my cressi fins...

A question for you, if you don't mind: Is the upper area nicely painted, and the bottom arear "rough" so you can see the layers? Looks cool, but I'm thinking it might create drag (probably not a lot anyway).

Well as fondue set said I think it's normal for them to have a textured back, but it's unlikely it creates any real drag effect.

After trying them again I think that the angle issue might have just been me using the sole of the foot rather than the heel as the comparitive angle point. I really don't think it's reall issue in the water as much as I did but it still seems like the angle could have been back more.

Right now my problem is that I think I just got the wrong size. My feet couldn't hardly make it into the foot pockets. I was planing on just using it with a neoprene sock to make increase the pressure without creating friction, but I see that with this size that's not possible.

That said the rubbing was the only problem on my foot. I didn't any real bad aching in my ankles, and after I got out of the water I never got any soreness or pain.

As for the stiffness I'm not real sure I made the right decision. The blade was great for going fast, faster than I've ever gone in the water. But at those speeds I couldn't go very far. I've been able to completly cross the poll with dolphin kick using a pair of cressi reaction pros no problem. But the nemo wing tired me out.

I like the speed but I know the softer one could get me more distance under water and I'm not sure the soft would actually be soft enough to feel like it lost power with my broad kicks, since, from what I understand, the nemo wing is considered a firm fin.

Now I either need to find some one who would buy my fin so I can get another one or work something out with bogdan.

Really a soft fin is best. In the beginning people always think they want a stiff fin because they think they are strong and a soft fin will be too weak. This is incorrect. A soft fin is simply better for distance. You do not always want to be swimming as hard as you can.

That said - I had no trouble to swim softly with a hard nemo. You simply adjust. If you can wear your fin comfortably for 30 minutes and more - then I recommend you just work with the fin - relax and learn to swim effectively with it. Be patient - it takes a long time to develop good technique. If the fin is too small and hurts your feet that is another matter.

I too have a Nemo Wing. I've been swimming with it over a year now, and have learned to make friends with it. Perhaps it would be easier to give usable advice with a bit more info, since this is your first monofin. When you say "tight", just how tight? how long can you wear it without lots of pain or numbness? As far as blisters, wearing lycra socks helps a whole lot. Makes them easier to put on, too. Soap works too, to help them on, but won't help with blisters. Look at a lot of videos for technique-Fondueset has some great ones that show his technique. It took me months of swimming every day for an hour before my technique would work well with the Nemo. Your back and abs will get much stronger if you do it right. Keep knees straight. This fin rewards good technique but will wear you out with poor tech. Have someone do an underwater video of you swimming with it, and watch it. Compare with ones online. And, if all that fails, what size and stiffness is it? ;-)) good luck!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT