• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Waves - when do they get dangerous?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

daiquiri

Aug 12, 2005
Hi,

this is an absolutely newbie question, but I've been living near the sea only in the last 6 month approximaltely, so I don't know its "habits" as much as many of you guys.. Now the winter is coming soon, and the sea around here is often less peaceful than it was during the summertime. My problem is, that I often can't decide whether it's still safe to get into the water, or I should stay out of it - or if I'm already in, when to get the hell out if circumstances change.. I know some guys who even dive during thunderstorms sometimes, but fot me even waves around 1m can get scary, because I don't know what to expect.. (as I said I don't know the sea so well yet..)
So is there a rule of thumb or something, to determine when it is safe and when it is not?

Hi Daiquiri

Rule of thumb is that the sea is always going to have an 'unexpected' side. I guess the plan is to speak to the locals, find a dive buddy who knows the area and learn from him what it does and when. The patterns of the ocean are determinded by the micro-meterology at the time, or in simpler terms, the weather and wind at that moment. So learn as much as you can about the weather pattern in the area, and what weather systems do to the sea in your area. There is generally always a 'sign' in the advance, eg, a change and increase in wind direction / temperature etc.

You may have heard the classic quote - "The sea is not inherently dangerous, but is terribly unforgiving in errors of judgement..."

Also, listen to your own gut, and if the water does not feel right, get out! :D

Good luck, and welcome to a great place.

Jeff

Hiya

A good rule to abide by: When in doubt, DON'T!!!

A one meter wave is big enough to seriously hurt you!! Whilst you're in the water, waves pose very little threat to you. The getting out of the water is the problematic part. If you're exiting the water onto a sandy beach, the easiest is to try and body surf a wave in. When you're in shallow enough water, stand up and walk backward toward land, so that you don't trip over your fins. If the surf is big, you stand a very good chance of losing your mask and fins. Be VERY carefull.

Exiting onto a rocky shore is far worse. I've had small waves, barely 30cm in height bash me into the rocks. Best advice is to choose your entry and exit points BEFORE you enter the water, taking into account tidal changes as well as weather changes.

Other than common sense, experience will come with time!!

Regards
miles

Yeah, sorry Daiquiri, I kind of passed over the waves thing, but fortunately some of the South African spearo's are clever enough to read the question properly!! Thanks Miles. :D

Which ocean do you live by? You get huge points for asking the question. I tell my kids and visitors here on Kauai that if you're standing on wet rocks or sand at the oceans edge your life is in danger. Sounds over the top but the tragedies we have here every year from even strong swimmers drowning make it a very well measured remark. One beach has a hand painted sign on a tree next to the barrage of County warnings. It says "Many strong swimmers have died". Read the conditions and plan your dive considering not only how to get in but how to get out in the event the surf comes up, alternate exits. If you find yourself in trouble with rough water/surf kick away from shore first then think a minute before moving in. It's that earth/water contact point that causes all the trouble.

Aloha,

TP

well I'm desperately trying to find a local diving buddy, as it would be essential for safe freediving, but I've failed so far :(

miles: well that's why I'm asking, because I think I've been in doubt more times than I should have been ;) but I mostly get in and out of water on sandy beaches and approach the rocky reefs from there, so getting out is rarely a problem. If the wave does not pose a threat as long as I'm in, then I think I overreacted those waves sometimes.
bluh2o: I dive in the Med.

your entry and exit points BEFORE you enter the water
______________--

Tha happen to me one-I started my day in a beatifull and sunny day and the the wheather changed-

you can't not be close to the shore but keep swimming until you find the best place to exit the watter--- there is someplace when the waves hit more strong thant other - id depend from the position of the wind also i think so -and the position of the rock

daiquiri

hi there
i grew up 10 years next to the Indian Ocean of South Africa.. close to Durban. we had cyclonic conditions many times and most weekends there were huge wavs from 1 to 5m... surfing was good and so was the body surfing, you always had to pay attention to the beacons set up by the lifeguards and read the conditions of that day.

miles' advice was good, if in doubt ... dont'! my mum used to test the water by going in knee deep first.. if she was dumped on the beach in the 1st couple of minutes she would nt go swimmming.. more than often someone was swept out of the swimming area and had to be brought back by the lifeguards. be careful of rip tides and talk to the locals.. hang out with a few beach regulars so you get to know the ocean movements.. and as the guys said, it can be very unpredictable!

however if you enjoy boogie-boarding or surfing waves can be amazing and as long as you keep your eye out. .don't go the backline on your first day.. you'll have many fun ocean days.. keep your head too.

lucky you... there are no waves in Dubai :( its like a heated pool.

i'm with Miles, If ever you feel spooked or uneasy get out of or don't get into the water. Small waves are no threat unless you go over the falls as you are heading out. Windy or thundery days are okay as long as there are no huge currents or swells that can trap you under reefs. But diving on stormy days is a shit idea anyway because you wont see much and colors arnet as good. So if its a good clear sunny day with a seabreeze and a bit of swell don't let it put you off diving, just as long as you are at home at the spot and you go in if the currents get too strong.
Peace mate, happy diving

I agree that surfers will maybe give good advice on that one. even big waves can be ok as long as there is nothing they can smash you into and as long as you duckdive them. I would also repeat that threat of the rip tides which might be even more dangerous then the waves themselfes.

And also on sandy beaches be aware of being turned around by a big wave and hitting the the sand head first (necks are not built to withstand that ;)

A word of caution, it probably isn't the best idea to dive when thundering or lightning. If you can hear thunder, you can be struck by lightning.

Reason being, there are two types of lightning strikes, positive and negative. Negative are the common relatively small strikes that come from the base of the cloud to the ground. Positive strikes are more rare and very powerful, they come from the top of the cloud and can travel many miles before striking the ground.

Water is an excellent conductor and lightning can travel quite a way's through it. Lightning doesn't actually have to strike you, just near you.
It's a good guideline to wait 20 minutes after hearing thunder, and 30 minutes after seeing lightning before getting in the water.

That being said, it's ultimately your decision, just a word of caution.

As for the waves, I have no freaking idea. I dive in small freshwater lakes. :D

~James

Last edited:
Re: Pieces of string - when do they get long?

sorry, couldn't resist it :blackeye

miles said:
A good rule to abide by: When in doubt, DON'T!!!

haha i grew up with the rule "if in doubt paddle out"..... but come to think of it ive been knocked out once and almost drowned a few times so maybe it wasnt the best motto :duh (this was surfing not diving though), but as other people have said waves are only scary if they catch you when your not expecting them. if get caught in a rip/current dont fight it, swim diagonal to it or go with it and wash up somewhere else/wave for help if applicable.

i wouldnt of thought youd get many large waves in greece?.

I don't know how sensitive the water around Corfu is to having its visibility disturbed by surf, but in my experience (Southern California) if the waves get much over 3 to 4 feet (a little over 1 meter average) on the face, diving off the beach becomes pretty much out of the question and it might be a good idea to think about something else to do, like boogie boarding. (If you have a method of getting way outside, like a kayak, it might be a different story.)

I think I did myself a disservice by learning how to dive (and craving calm clear water) some years before learning how to surf. But I found that the things I learned in surfing about the behavior of the ocean's doorstep made me a better diver.

Daiquiri

you can check the wind forecast, check it on a regular basis and then observe the ocean conditions, after a while you can make a good relation between wind speed and ocean condition at your area.

you can use this site WINDGURU, it is been used by many wind surfers, they are looking for exactly the oposite than you. There are a free version.

Register yourself and set the geografic coordinates of your spots, it may help you.

I think you can check the wave forecast too.

Saludos

Carlos

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT