• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

We built a sled and went diving!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
On the weekend we took the new sled for it's maiden voyage. It's built with multiple dives in mind. (ie the lift bag brings the whole lot back to the surface)

Unfortunately the seas were rough so we were confined to the waters well inside Sydney harbour and as a result had to deal with crappy vis up past The Spit bridge. The upside was that this also confined us to a max of 32m (the silt at the bottom) which was probably a good thing while we worked it all out.

The sled worked great and here are a couple of pics of the fun and games.......not the pure end of the sport but lots of fun for sure.:p

Andy
Sydney

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 426
.....and coming back up

oops ....was that me?

Attachments

• sled2.jpg
    sled2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 444
Reactions: Pezman
Andy,

Looks like you're sporting a D3. Would you be willing to post the profiles?

Also, I'm wondering how many reliable ascents you can get from 30m w/ an 80 cu ft tank.

Tres kewl

Hey Pezman,

Yep that is a D3 and I'll do a download and post the data. It was about 20secs down 20secs on the bottom and 20secs ascent. Did you really pick my watch in that gloom?!

We were using about 60bar for each ascent and it was a real eye opener in the dangers of sled diving and monitoring gas bottles. The lift bag was 50ltrs which is equivalent to 200ltrs at 30m plus some spillage :duh

The fin box was like a parachute and we are going to drop it in favour of a T-bar to sit on and wrap under the knees. Apart from the impact it had on the ascent it also made it difficult to get off if you needed to on the way up....bit dangerous if you get a reverse block etc. The T-bar solves this and also creates some room on my little boat on the way out. :p

Andy
Sydney

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT