• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weak breathhold

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

denmyos

Jun 14, 2014
I know this topic has come up more or less on a daily basis, but here goes my problem.

I have been spearfishing for around 6 months. With bottom times from 20-30sec
In 6 feet of water.
This summer I did a free dive course and ended up with a static around the 1m10sec.
And depth around the 18feet.

I do tables and apnea walks.
My dry static now is around 1:30 minutes and my apnea walks is around the same time.

My breath up is 3 sec in 6 out for a couple of minutes and then a big belly, middle and chest breath, before I hold.

With doing dry static I feel like my chest is gonna explode, and I feel like taking a breath after around 35sec, I'm dying after a minute, but can sometimes hold it for another 30sec.

In the water I'm feeling like my throat is crying for air,,, (not my lungs)
And I have to surface after 30sec.

I never have that "I can hold my breath for ever feeling" its just one big struggle from 10sec and on.

I'm really getting frustrated, I don't seem to get any better.
I thought a free diving course would really push my bottom time in the right direction, but I guess I was one of those problem students.

Any thoughts. ☺

Urge to breath starting a 10 seconds isn't normal physiology. That just isn't enough time to build up any significant c02 unless you are exercising like crazy. This sounds like "in your head" I'd work on relaxing in the water. Don't take a super full breath, just normal full or sligthly less, relax and drift in the water..

Just a thought. Do you have any physical problems with exercise, getting winded easily, wierd heard rate, other??

Reactions: water moccasin
Thanks for your reply. :)

I exercise about 5 times a week Weight training and Muay Thai, though i'm getting old, i'm still in a ok condition.
I tried something yesterday which really help my static.
Just before i hold my breath, i take a really big breath and hold it for 3-5 sec i do that twice.
And then i take my last breath and hold.
That kick my static to 1:45, and my urge to breath came after a minut, not after 35sec.
This way was a lot easier for me to get in the zone, and not worry about take a breath after 35sec.

Any thoughts on that. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT