• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weekend Hiatus Off Sugarloaf Key

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rolando

Jun 16, 2003
Went for a two-day weekend getaway with my parents and girlfriend. The weather did not cooperate a whole lot, especially when the goal was to show my girl why I’m so passionate about our sport and to have my dad spear at least one more fish, even at 78 years of age. I arrived five hours before my parents and put the boat in the water and headed out towards the reef. I wanted to get a glimpse of the conditions and hopefully find a spot or two. I quickly realized that the visibility was spotty, at least for Florida Keys standards (~20 feet):eek: . I was able to find a nice ledge in about 35 feet and we anchored and both jumped in the water. After shooting a few snappers, my girlfriend was a bit winded from battling the mild current and dealing without being able to see me from the surface. I decided to take one more circle around the spot and concentrate on a particular coral head, in which I previously spotted a good-sized yellow jack. After a few minutes of hovering around, I spotted it from the corner of my eye and fired a shot right thru its gills: Dinner:p . We cooked it up when my parents arrived and hoped for better conditions on Saturday.

I woke up Saturday morning to a breezy 15 knots and I knew it was not going to be a pleasurable day for the folks:hmm . The water appeared even dirtier and the waves were a solid 3-5 feet. It was a rough ride out to the reefs in my 18 footer, but we all were determined to make the best of the situation. I anchored at the previous day’s spot and gave everyone their gear (my extras) and we all jumped in. I had several ropes tied to the boat for all to hold on to, but the current was just a bit too strong, augmented by big waves and poor viz, not the most pleasant of surroundings. All were quickly back on the boat and were kind enough to give me one solid hour in the water. I knew I was limited on time and quickly started to throw some snappers and a mackerel on board. After about 45 minutes, my mom told me it was enough, that she could not look at me being out there by myself in what she called, “filthy water” (I think she was just a bit dizzy). I convinced her to give me 15 more minutes. Sure enough in the same vicinity I shot the previous day’s Yellow Jack, I saw another one towards the bottom while hovering at mid water, I gently made a smooth kick and decended on it and shot it in the spine, quickly debilitating it. I swam against the current back towards the boat and we were back in shore in 45 minutes.

Sometimes expectations take a slight turn “south” and things don’t turn out as planned. What’s important is to make the best of the situation and have a positive outlook. I realized that I don’t need to have my dad shoot another fish in his lifetime to make him happy. He’s perfectly content living vicariously through me and holding on to his nostalgic memories when he was young and a tad more vigorous. Aside, from a mild malfunction on my boat and my digital camera’s LCD shattering, it was a memorable weekend.

Friday’s Yellow Jack:

Attachments

• yellow jack friday.jpg
    yellow jack friday.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Saturday's Yellow Jack

Saturday in the Evaporated Milk-like waters:

Attachments

• saturday yellow  jack.jpg
    saturday yellow jack.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 438
Great account Rolando,
I so much wanted your dad to catch a fish, minor anti-climax at the end of your account when he hasn't. I'm sure he will have his day another time yet, Great pic of your fish

David

es muy cabron!

Youdaman, Rollo! :king
Now give your girlfriend back her wetsuit. :t and where the Hell where those a few months ago?? :head

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
"Great pic of your fish, the angles are very symetrical well defined and the agony vs. triumph concept was beautifully captured."

Tamoshee, thanks a lot. I'm a hell of a photographer!

Nice Jacks Rolo.

Glad to hear you had a good time despite the conditions.

Those tights do make you look kinda gay though.

G

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
oh

Rolo: Did you use a shotgun? ;) It was a pretty nice shot, but I would like to know what kind of gun did you use?

Re: oh

Originally posted by PEDRITO
Rolo: Did you use a shotgun? ;) It was a pretty nice shot, but I would like to know what kind of gun did you use?

Pedrito,

I used a 120cm Rabitech Apex (Carbon) with a single 20mm band. :) A Fairly inexpensive South African Railgun.

Hiya

Nice fish Rolo!!!!:D :D :D

Looks like you Rabiteched 'em good!!!!:D :D :D :D

Regards
miles

ooh!

wow! i wanna getta a job in the FBI... especially if those wetsuits are standard issue for the guys.

:naughty

Hiya Rolo

NOW you're in trouble...........you seem to have caught island sands attention!!!:D :D :D :D

miles:D :D

do you have a reel or somthing? it looks like that jack would go pretty berzerk unless u stoned it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT