• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weight Belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Alex one Question first. are you sea or fresh water? if sea first weigh your self, ok you weigh 65 Kilo thats 1 kilo to every 10k you have on the scales, so 6 k start weight, if your suit is 5 mm add 2k so now you are going for neutral boyant at 10m with 8 kilo of weight.. go down to 10m and lay up... if you dont feel heavy or Ascending then you are Neutral, then you've cracked it. if you still bob up to the surface then add 1k if you find you are pushing to get up from static then reduce by 1k and so on and so on untill you get it on ..... same as Dave said,
But now comes the hard bit for fresh water you will have to reduce the start weight by at least 1to 2 kilo. and do the same thing. or ask the salt free guys .

good luck .
Jim.

Reactions: Old Man Dave
I always in salt water, maybe some times in the river.

Thanks people... my knowlege improved by about 10% now!lol!

Reactions: foxfish
Jim you crack me up. rofl This is one case where the statement that "The English and the Americans are divided by their common language" is just not true.
Still alex's English is better than my Russian/German so mustn't take the mickey too much.
Alex some rep points winging there way to you for your contribution.
Dave :)
PS better do the same Jim for the sake of your conscience

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
How do you properly thread a weight belt? I have one end going up through the first slot and out the last slot with the other end over it (does that make sense?).:)

I use a "marsailles" weight belt also
rthick ubber kind
weights the smalest you have the best it is as shown here
a ot on small ones it splits the all wehight on the belt
color should be in natural reef color
black green braun blue & not yellow red or orange

I use both the neoprene pockets and the rubber Marsailles. The pocket type works fine for shallow dives for me but I also have an Real Wisconsin beer belly. So it stays were i put it :) However after having the Marsailles belt for a year now I will say the the regular buckel release (not the one jimdoes describes) kinda scares me. It seems way to fast. to remove the Marsailles seems a more deliberate act. I feel more in control of the act thus feel more secure. btw If you read the other forums I ussually spend some time practicing taking it off and on in the water. Just feel its a good idea to be prepared for a situation.

g'day fellas,
i know this is a little off topic but how much weight should you carry down with you during spearfishing/freediving? whats the percentage of your own body mass?
cheers

iggy
It all depends on what thickness of suit you are wearing, a 7mm suit will need more weight than a 3mm on the same person.
It also depends on how deep you are diving, 7kg is too little for me at 10m with a 6.5mm suit but just right if I dive to 18m.

iggy_92 said:
g'day fellas,
i know this is a little off topic but how much weight should you carry down with you during spearfishing/freediving? whats the percentage of your own body mass?
cheers
"...one Question first. are you sea or fresh water? if sea first weigh your self, ok you weigh 65 Kilo thats 1 kilo to every 10k you have on the scales, so 6 k start weight, if your suit is 5 mm add 2k so now you are going for neutral boyant at 10m with 8 kilo of weight.. go down to 10m and lay up... if you dont feel heavy or Ascending then you are Neutral, then you've cracked it. if you still bob up to the surface then add 1k if you find you are pushing to get up from static then reduce by 1k and so on and so on untill you get it on ..... same as Dave said,
But now comes the hard bit for fresh water you will have to reduce the start weight by at least 1to 2 kilo. and do the same thing. or ask the salt free guys .

good luck ."
- Dave/Grouper Madness/Jim/...:confused:

Sorry - couldn't resist rofl. (I'm still working on this out myself but it seems roughly 10% for me, +/- maybe 2%?... with 5mm spearo wetsuit in sea ...which might well be completely irrelevant to you.) There seem to be lots of variables: your buoyancy (e.g. wetsuit buoyancy, salinity of water, fat vs. lean mass). Some carry more weight for shallow dives or to sink for aspetto (ambush) & less for deep dives. I saw a scuba diver remove a large pebble from a pouch on a beach, he'd used it as extra weight because he was more buoyant than usual that day.

Reactions: naiad and foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT