• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weight Belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
RE. using a cold chisel to open up small slots (which I used to remove my RA D-weights). The converse it also possible -- hammering the weight, a little, with a small ball-pein hammer to close up a loose slot & lock it on to the belt. Don't over do it though (the lead will start to crease & open up) -- you only need a slight bite as friction of the rubber holds the weights fairly well in place.

umm i have sort of a stupid question. where can you buy weights for your belt? no really i have been wondering this for a while.

Hypersquid1 said:
umm i have sort of a stupid question. where can you buy weights for your belt? no really i have been wondering this for a while.

any dive shop should sell them.

Hypersquid1 said:

Sport Chalet(if there is one near you) will have a nice selection of weights. They have coated and non-coated, In black or blue. Usually they are cheaper than the dive shops per pound, Because they are commercial.

Yeah, butt what about those of us that suffer from that malady, noassatall-osis??:crutch

Enter the back or weight harness. The weights are concentrated up between the shouldar blades where it aids the tip-over and a couple of 5's around the waist keep the attitude smooth and kelp free.

For what it's worth, when I travel, it's with a rubber belt with an old stainless Dacor buckle and the hydro weights from Hana Paa. :cool:

HELP!!!!:head :confused:

Is there a "formula/test/rule" to calculate how much weight do you need on your belt???

Because i am cunfussed........ i have 4kl i am 65kl (wetsuid?)? i go up (what's the professional word for going up to the surface again?) a bit when hunting on about 5 meters.....

THANK YOU!:inlove

Last edited:
The guideline that I follow is to weight yourself so that you are neutrally buoyant at 10 meters depth for freediving.

When hunting in waters that are less than 10 meters deep, add the appropriate amount of weight so you are neutrally buoyant at your desired depth.

In english you can say "resurface" or "coming up for a breath".

If I were hunting in water that is only 5 meters, I would want to be neutral at 3 meters.

Jim

:)

Last edited:
It does us all good to reflect that things we do almost instinctively are in fact learnt. Once you get some experience you hardly need to think about correct weighting. It becomes second nature. When starting out it can seem like some great mystery. Bit like riding a bike really, when you can do it you can't understand how you or others couldn't.
Anyway back to correct weighting. Factors are not so much your size but how you're built and what suit you wear. Thin people generally need less weight while us fatties need more. Basically muscle and bone are more dense than fat and produce less upthrust (floatation) for their volume. The suit provides the main buoyancy though. A 3mm shorty needs a kilo whereas a full 7mm suit needs several kilos. I've also found that there is an "X" factor. Some people in some suits just seem to float more. Could be lung volume or even "wind" :) .
If you only ever swum on the surface then that would be it but when you dive it gets more complicated. As you descend the increasing water pressure compresses your suit and your lungs. You therefore loose buoyancy as you descend.
So there are far too many factors to have a working formula. Make an estimate and then carry out some experiments.
Dive to different depths and try to hover in the water, staying still. It's best to do this using a rope line or next to a wall etc. If you float up you're positively buoyant, if you sink you are negative. Find the point at which you remain still. That is your neutral buoyancy for that weight.
By adding or removing weights your neutral buoyancy depth is altered.
For general fishing in 1m to 10m depth I weight for neutral buoyancy at 6 or 7 metres.
Hope your English can cope with my explanation. It's got to be better than my German. :t
Cheers
Dave

Ps To go up is to "ascend" (never ask an American about the English language). They can't even spell "colour" for heavens sake!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
I have used rubber weight belts and nylon belts and I prefer cheap ones. I like them because, while they do not fit as well, I will hesitate less to ditch one. I have had only one circumstance in which I have ditched weight and was glad that I was willing to do it. As irrational as it sounds a part of the decision to ditch was knowing that replacing the belt wouldn't cost me much.

I do like the posted idea of using heavy nylon or neoprene and adding a regular quick release buckle. That seems like the best of both worlds.

I personally would have no problem ditching a diamond studded weight belt if my life depended on it!

Really, ..........you could just go back for it later if you weren't in blue water.

I have been diving since I was 12 and fortunately never had to ditch my weight belt. I believe it is far more reasonable to buy and use quality, comfortable weight belts than cheap, uncomfortable ones because of the fear of losing $25 in a rare circumstance.

:)

Alex one Question first. are you sea or fresh water? if sea first weigh your self, ok you weigh 65 Kilo thats 1 kilo to every 10k you have on the scales, so 6 k start weight, if your suit is 5 mm add 2k so now you are going for neutral boyant at 10m with 8 kilo of weight.. go down to 10m and lay up... if you dont feel heavy or Ascending then you are Neutral, then you've cracked it. if you still bob up to the surface then add 1k if you find you are pushing to get up from static then reduce by 1k and so on and so on untill you get it on ..... same as Dave said, :) :)
But now comes the hard bit for fresh water you will have to reduce the start weight by at least 1to 2 kilo. and do the same thing. or ask the salt free guys .

good luck .
Peter.

long bla.....bla..... on weights!

Sadly I never had the opportunity to dive/spearfish when I was a very, very little (well if you are born in the Russian Federation like me and especially in ‘91). I made my first diving course on the Maldives during the end of 2001 (Christmas), and of cause was educated by the money thirsty PADI.
I dived about 5 times in Egypt; later lost my diving-record book (I even forgot the proper name for it)…
I wasn’t diving for about 2 years and hope I will dive this year in Malaysia or somewhere…

-*-​
Well, back to business. I spearfish for about 2 years now (and seriously improved and understood that the power of your speargun is not important, may be even someone of you remembers my threads…. I laugh about them my self now!).
So, even with my little experience I never had a problem with weights( exept the exact right amount,it was never perfect) AT ALL! The best belts are cheap with this “easy opening buckle” which is VERY useful in emergency. And that weight which is covered with this yellow rubber; this prevents the sliding to the side and has no damn edges which can rip your skin or wetsuit (I hate lead because it’s a poison)!

THANKS FOR SUCH A DETAILED ANSWERS:
david AND Groupermadness!

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Re: long bla.....bla..... on weights!

alexanderXP said:
(I hate lead because it’s a poison)!
Yeah, it's best not to eat your weights.

Interesting post on dropping your weight belt: http://forums.deeperblue.net/forum60/thread37937.html

[Must get over to Florida Jim - $25 diamond weight belts, women in very small uniforms, warm weather, clear water AND big fish.;)]

Last edited:
Yeah, it's best not to eat your weights.

Thank you Mr.X, I just wanted to attack my weight sandwitch with paperoni.... sooo delicious!

-*-​

Well, still even touching it and not cleaning your hands afterwards, having dinner would make your stomach hurt.... i think thats enought. And i didnt say its MORTAL!rofl

Hey AlexanderXP!
What about my thanks? I'll teach you another English word re Groupermadness it's "plagiarism". Look it up and let me know when you've found out what it means. :)
Dave
PS I accept rep points.

Reactions: Groupermadness
you are right dave' but i didnt read your post till after writing mine and i did credit you also.
ps: i am maried to a university english teacher so here is the meaning.
plagiarism. its a noun. when someone nicks someone elses words or ideas in their writing and pretend they were theirs. ie Steven king nicking dan browns words and selling a bestseller without crediting or informing him.
Ps Karma coming.
Alex send dave some karma also.

Hi!
Just a quick handy tip for rubber weightbelts with Marselles?? buckle.
Remove the 2 bolts that keep the buckle attached to the weight belt, and replace with rope, dynema/old shooting line looped a couple of times through the holes. Sometimes the holes of the belt allow the bolts and washers to slip out so the looped line totally prevents this. I also use the loop to hold a small long line clip for emergency clip or to attach a stringer (very thick kelp only).

Safe diving
Jacques
cape Town

A spearo with a lot of experience, who I have a lot of respect for, suggested tucking the spare end of my Marseille belt in behind the buckle. Unfortunately, with the weights I am using now there is no longer enough spare to do this. So I am planning to use some thin elastic bands just to keep the end in place. However, reading the popular Manual of Freediving this morning, I notice that the authors advocate keeping the end of the belt short (10cm? -- which is handy for me :D) for freediving & specifically recommend not tucking it in behind the buckle. Anybody got and opinions/preferences/thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Hiya

Jacques, that happened to my wifes belt!! I simply fitted LARGE stainless steel washers instead of the smaller ones that were fitted to the belt. No more problems!! I also tie a tuna clip/snap clip to one of my weights. Allows me to clip on a ikijimi spike, or when BW hunting, allows me to clip my gun to the belt once i've shot a fish (gun is rigged break-away).

Mr. X, my first belt was rather long and i ended up trimming it quite short, as in 20cm or so sticks out pass the buckle. Simply use a scissor to cut the rubber belt to size.

Regards
miles

Reactions: Mr. X
Hey wasn’t this question for me, groupermadness???

Still, I know this word for very long because, I do an enormous amount of research projects and all teachers like to stress on the issue of plagiarism. This is an international crime, and we need to learn to respect other’s work, and especially to learn how to acknowledge about it (writing a bibliography). Plagiarism is just foolish.:duh

Plagiarism
1. A piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work
2. The act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own [syn: plagiarization, plagiarisation, piracy]

Dictionary.com – ADD TO FAVORIT’S NOW!
“We come across many words in the English language which we don’t know, and it is not ignorant not to know, it’s ignorant not to check.”

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT