• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weight for 3 mil suit??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've looked at harnesses and they seem to be a bit pricey. Anyone know where to find a less expensive one that will do the job. I really appreciate all of the help. This is great.

OMER has a couple of options, this being a small one that will hold enough weight for you, plus the weights sit over the in-water centre of buoyancy. I have one and like it.
Spearfishing and Freediving Equipment - Weight Belts - Light Weight Harness - Technosport Inc.

EDIT: Ok I see you found them. This one works fine.

Agreed: I have one of the same type (Seatec 3 kilograms) and it works great. Very comfortable fit on my upper back and gives me a perfect balance, also giving relief to my lower back. Here it is:
small_immagine2.jpg

I was wondering if I needed any kind of weight for my 3mil suit. I have yet to use it and was just wondering if it was necessary.

Thank you!

Eric

Eric,
As mentioned you will have to fine tune the weights yourself, but here are a couple things that might help:

1) The deeper you go, the more you wet suit will compress and the more your buoyancy will change. Different wet suits react differently to changing hydrostatic pressure. "Open cell" spearo/apnea wetsuits are warmer and more flexible, but are affected more by pressure than the tough, stiff scuba wetsuits.

2) Use some smaller weight increments initially (i.e. 2lb weights) so that you can remove/add as necessary, without huge changes in boyancy (important for fine tuning). Also, if you get too hot and remove the wetsuit top but leave the farmer john's on, smaller weight increments will be more adjustable. Once you figure out your weights, you can switch to fewer, larger weights if you so please.

3)I BELIEVE the "standard" generic rule of thumb for weights is to be neutrally buoyant at about half the predicted/expected depth. So if you're planning on diving to 30m (~90ft), you should be neutrally buoyant at about 10-15m, and so on. Many people like to over-weigh themselves so they sink a little earlier in the dive. I think the most important thing may be to be positively buoyant at the first 5-6 meters of depth (where shallow water blackout usually occurs). This way you will float to the surface if you pass out on the way up...a danger you will hopefully not expose yourself to. Perhaps someone else can add some insight into this.

4) For shallower diving I enjoy using angle weights, as they help stabilize me while stalking fish at the bottom, and also as previously mentioned help with fining (I'm skinny and have wimpy ankles/legs, so the added weight makes for more stable fining). That said, if you'll be fining long distances on the surface, the ankle weights can contribute to leg fatigue.

Having said all that, you've gotten some great advice from very experienced people on this forum. I don't think anyone has steered you wrong. Enjoy your diving (damn I'm jealous!!). Post some pictures if you get any.

A

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I haven't been here in a while and I've purchased everything for my trip. I'll have plenty of pictures when I get back. Thanks again!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT