• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weight Harnesses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
hi there
anybody use a weight harness for scuba diving?

can anyone give me any feedback on these... are they effective, comfortable, how about the quick release etc. I know someone who wants to buy one but i have no experience with them at all.

any comments or brand suggestions?:

Are you referring to the ones like the DUI suspender job? For people who require huge amounts of weight, it is the only comfortable way to wear it. That's too much like work for me though.

Originally posted by hidiver1
Are you referring to the ones like the DUI suspender job? For people who require huge amounts of weight, it is the only comfortable way to wear it. That's too much like work for me though.

Some people do need extraordinary amounts of weight but I feel that there are better ways to carry it than to use a harness. Most of the harnesses I have seen just seem to get in the way, sitting awkwardly under the BCD and in some cases the BCD gets in the way of the weight release mechanism. Using a stainless steel backplate and single tank adapter with a wing instead of a standard recreational BCD can add up to 8lbs of weight (more with purpose built "heavy" plates). Weights can also be added to the tank in the form of keel weights or just by threading them through the tank straps.

Distributing your weight in this fashion may result in better trim and more comfort than with a harness or heavy weightbelt.

Ash

I Really agreee with Ash's comments, I myself use a back plate system and twins and virtually no wieght!, but if this is the way you intend to go then try Beaver Watersports, I have friends who have use there harness system, with no problems and they have been able to access the quick release's with ease. There after sales care is really great too!

new bcd

HI
Its a good point.. but the person in question has just bought a brand new S/Pro Glide... i don't think he really wants to invest in a harness.

although... the idea of a back plate.. perhaps you can still install one on a regular bcd somehow. will have to look at space / measurements.

the weight harness in question is this one
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=1&id_subfamilia=13

Okay, dont know if I would want to mess about with a new BC! ;) but try this website they custom make a backplate, It has lots of different strap holes so may well fit, It has loads more that the equivalant Custom Divers or OMS, All the locals here use them!
http://www.portlandoceaneering.com Address you emails to Ben and If he thinks that it will fit then IT WILL! Hope this helps!

Hi

As an alternative to a weight harness, have a look at http://www.brightweights.com/ they supply a variety of weighting products to customize your weights. They have a system that straps to your cylinder, which when used in conjunction with their weight belt and ankle weights allows you to adjust your trim to achieve perfect buoyancy.

I've used their weights for about 2 years now and will not go back to conventional lead.

For freediving, Seasoft makes a real neat weight vest (http://www.watermark1.com). The president of the company gave us a demo at our dive club. The nylon vest/harness holds a desired number of soft weights in a elongated pouch on the back. The weights can be quickly dumped by pulling a ripcord handle which opens up a zippered chute at the bottom of the pouch. The only drawbacks I can see to this system are:
1. You can't dump the weight if you're inverted.
2. Your lumbar spine still has to carry the weight load. I was seriously considering buying this weight system, though it's very pricey (about $150). However, I've developed back problems with age, and I now use a Marseille-type rubber belt to keep the weight low on my hips. BTW, thanks to all of you at this website for advising me to get this type of belt.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT