• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weight of Mako Carbon Elite Fins & C4 Indian

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gznokes

Mar 22, 2021
Recently I did a search of this site for fin wieght. I found a lot of good information but didn't find the information on a couple of options I was considering. I had a hard time finding some of this information on the manufacturers websites. In the case of the Mako fins it was not listed.

These weights are per fin with footpockets attached (size 46-47)
Mako Carbon Elite Medium stiffness 2.33lbs
C4 Indian "30" medium stiffness 1.44lbs
For comparision, my Cressi plastic open back scuba fins that aren't nearly as long were right at 2lbs.

I found the 300 footpockets on the C4 fins horribly oversized--as in 2 full finger widths behind my heel. The C4 fins seemed on the medium light side as far as stiffness. I think I would be worried about banging them up and breaking them.
The Mako fins fit well. The Mako footpockets and rails were thick rubber. The blades also seemed more durable and probably on the medium + side of flexibility.

Recently I did a search of this site for fin wieght. I found a lot of good information but didn't find the information on a couple of options I was considering. I had a hard time finding some of this information on the manufacturers websites. In the case of the Mako fins it was not listed.

These weights are per fin with footpockets attached (size 46-47)
Mako Carbon Elite Medium stiffness 2.33lbs
C4 Indian "30" medium stiffness 1.44lbs
For comparision, my Cressi plastic open back scuba fins that aren't nearly as long were right at 2lbs.

I found the 300 footpockets on the C4 fins horribly oversized--as in 2 full finger widths behind my heel. The C4 fins seemed on the medium light side as far as stiffness. I think I would be worried about banging them up and breaking them.
The Mako fins fit well. The Mako footpockets and rails were thick rubber. The blades also seemed more durable and probably on the medium + side of flexibiliI

I'm surprised forum member Dano @MAKO Spearguns hasn't responded yet. :)
I ended up taking the Mako fins for a week in Belize. I found them durable in all sorts of conditions ranging from sloshing around in a ponga boat to standing on shallow hard pan coral bottoms and kicking around the reef. In terms of power, they were an upgrade from my plastic fins and I hit a new PR of 50 feet of depth. There was a fair amount of current and they seemed to help in that department as well. I did notice that the rails would come off in 1-2 inch sections. I think this must be because they are a bit wide and i'm a bit bow legged so I was knocking them together when I kicked. I'm new to carbon fins so I'm still trying to figure a few things out about the category in general. I'm not sure if I'll keep them or sell them, but for the price and performance, I didn't feel like they were a bad option.

Reactions: Mr. X
My Beuchat fins use a metal clip on each side to hold the rails on the fin. They are important, I lost a clip somehow and continued to dive for sometime, possibly a year or two without it but one day, in very unusual, extreme circumstances, the blade concerned broke. So always replace missing clips. If your fins don't have clips and the rails come off, personally I would glue them on - but ask Dani at Mako first though. I'd probably try some stretchy adhesive, like Copydex latex cement or perhaps neoprene wetsuit repair adhesive e.g. Spetton or that Black Witch stuff - but ask Dani first - wouldn't want to spoil your nice carbon find ;)

Hoping the UK might make a trade deal with USA so we can Mako more affordably over here.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT