• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weights and weighting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Angus

Apr 2, 2001
I have been using a set of cylindrical weights for several weeks now since Octo gave them to me. Prior to that I was using an old set of big square scuba weights. I have never used the flat tapered weights. Is there much difference? My current set is better than my previous set but they are uncomfortable. I am thinking about going with more but lighter weights to distribute the load around my entire waist as opposed to some at my front, sides, and back. I use a rubber belt which I like very much. I would like to know what different folks are using and how they are setting up. Octo is currently weighting for neutral at 60f while I am set up for neutral at about 35f. It makes sense to me to do the work when I am flush with oxygen but I find that I am burning it faster getting down than coming up; which makes no sense to me. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or not doing? Finally, has anyone used wrist and ankle weights? Angus

Weighting

Hey Angus, I use a few different weightings. For fresh water, I usually wear 11 lbs, which makes me neutral at -10 metres.
For deeper stuff, I wear 9 lbs in salt water, which makes me neutral at 17 metres. This is with the 5mm Picasso suit.
I've started wearing a 2 lb neck weight using the "chiclet" style of ankle weight. They are very adjustable, and will fit most necks. The neck weight is included in the total weight.
With my new speargun, I used 11 pounds in salt water. This gun is negatively buoyant, and worked great in 10 to 17 metres.
I met a freediver called Marie this weekend, she is the alternate for Canada's fdive team in Ibiza this year. She makes her own rubber belts out of truck tire tubes! They looked good and were cheaper than the 50$ commercial belts. I've never used one, but I'm going to in the future.
Cheers buddy,
Erik

neck weights?

Erik how is the neck weight attached and how does it feel? What are the advantages of having a neck weight? Also what shape are your weights? Thanks, Angus

Neck weight

Hi Angus, the weights on the belt are very small, .5lb square weights with rubber coating. The belt is also small, with a small quick-release buckle like the one on a B.C. chest strap. I got the idea from seeing Herbert Nitsch; he wore a neck weight to do his dynamic records this year.
The weight is not noticeable at all, I usually forget that I have it on. I'm not sure who makes these, but I have seen Americans using them as ankle weights for scuba diving on the west coast, so they should be available there. I am going to try 3 lbs on the neck, to see if it's comfortable. Any weight off the waist is a relief, and I don't like wearing weights on my ankles, as it changes my position in the water for breathe ups, destroys my kick, and is a bad entanglement hazard.
Cheers amigos,
Erik Young

Re: neck weights?

Angus said:
What are the advantages of having a neck weight?

In DNF your legs are heavy all the more since they have no fins to bear them...

On the contrary your rib cage acts like a buoy...

Wearing a weight belt you tend then to be vertical...

The weights at the neck correct this...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT