• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weird Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
Hey guys i just bought an AB Biller "36 Professional and i was just wondering if any of you guys use an AB Biller, cuz i could use some tips and advice with this baby.

Yeah they have a website (www.abbiller.com ) but its not realy helpfull.

anyways any input would be helpfull

HEy Mishu,

I have the sea hornet that my ex-wife's boyfriend gave to me. I replaced the bands and shooting line, but because of it's length, have used it twice. Short guns are better for the most of the limited hunting I do, however, I am thinking of converting the biller for halibut.

It is kinda weird, but seems to have good trigger action. The sliding shooting line attachment sucks and I have been thinking about ways to tweak it so it does not jam onto the stops (forcing the spear into the guide to unstick the sliding attachment was damaging the gun and I started twisting it to get in loose from the shaft prior to reloading). Looks to me like a strong pelagic could rip the shaft off of the line. Alot of folks dislike the sliding mechanism claiming it slows or turns the shaft. This makes no sense to me, but the attachment is clunky and seems unreliable.

i think the gun, overall is good as a transition gun. im currently switching from olepneumatics to ruber so in my opinion its a good, decent, midrange kinda gun. im sure that therre is ppl out there who disagree with me, but hey everyone is entitled to an opinion.:D :duh

mishu i have that same gun...the 36 spcl...i happen to love mine and have had no problems with it whatsoever. i did make a minor modification by putting 5/8" bands on it, and it KICKS with that...thats a lot of power for that short shaft. its a very accurate gun, and good looking too...ive pulled in a 50 pound shark on mine...my next gun will be another Biller, no doubt about that. the shock cord may be a little short, but check out the Biller reel or get one of those coil shock cords!

...spews his coffee whilst reading...

genius, Abri! rofl Subtle, sarcastic and smooth, rather like me. Kudos.

Ouch Aaron.:blackeye ouch.

sven

Be careful of the "DARK SIDE" Abri!!! Once Sven starts you down that path he'll be telling you stuff like,"Abri...I am your father...":D

Seriously though, I have a Biller 48spcl. and it was a great gun for me for quite some time...then I started taking shots at 70+ lb. amberjacks and large cobia and it just did not have the punch I needed. I still use the gun when I go to the keys on the reefs however. You could do much much worse, especially if it is a transitional gun for you.

Last edited:
No prob, Rig... I'll have Abri singing "You're my Daddy!", soon enough. :blackeye

rofl

AB Billers and Hornets used to be the guns around here with the competitive types, before we all got to see and use Riffe's, and then took them both and started making our own. Trouble is that some of us stayed in the garage, much to the consternation of our wives... Sort of a North Cal /South Cal thing. I'm fien with the materials and all, and the length is a great comprimise between in close and out there getting scared of stuff as big as you. I'm not real big on their line release being below the barrel and terminated at the thinnest portion of the trigger housing, though the safety location is fine, once you get used to it. The slide ring/spring thing on the shaft is a little gear-heavy for me, being smooth and all, but for poking among the rocks, you could do a lot worse. Hell, you could have ended up with a Rob Allen crutch :crutch

Just keep the innards clean and lighty lubed, much like the ideal mate, and have at it. Learn what works and reflect on what didn't and off you go. Best of luck.

sven

Any guns that uses a slide ring to attach the shooting line and a tab stop at the shaft to stop that slide ring............will have to fail one day......faster if powerful bands are used.

There are two kinds of rest stop at the tab, a twin dot or enlarged diameter adaptor.

If urs have not have the slide ring jammed up on the shaft ( for solid slide ring ), ur rubber or your gun is just not powerful enough.........good for you. The other reason is that you do not shoot enough with the guns. One way or the other the slide ring will turn oval and jam up on the shaft or just break or chipped off.
This is common for guns which can take 3 x 9/16 bands or stronger.

If the slide ring is a spring type ( coiling ones, some have spot welding and some do not ) and you never have that spring slide ring un-coiled on you, you probably have not shot a fish big enough:D :D

Anyway a 36" gun will not take much power, so I am certain the slide ring will last a long time.

A simple fact : slide ring is not very reliable but very easy to set up.:D :D

And from no where

Sorry Sven, couldn't help myself.

Originally posted by icarus pacific
the length is a great comprimise I'm not real big
keep the innards clean and lighty lubed

sven [/B]

Originally posted by icarus pacific
No prob, Rig... I'll have Abri singing "You're my Daddy!", soon enough. :blackeye ...
...getting scared of stuff as big as you...

Too much time in the locker room Sven?:cool:

An Excellent Trade!

Good one Abri! And I could not agree with you more:

The speargun is fun to be with, treats me with respect and helps to put food on the table.rofl rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT