• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

We're back!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alison

Mar 6, 2004
Hi guys
Well we're back near home now, still laid up, been reading all your messages, thanks everybody, dont really know what to say except thanks :)
We're both on the mend, sore inside and out, we didnt really know what had happened untill we got back to London, what a mess, someone must have been on our side that day.
Well thats enough from me for a while, be back soon :ban

Welcome back. Glad you made it home in at least some semblence of okay. Care to share the story?
Mark

Welcome back Alison.

Your ordeal really made that disaster sink in. You were the only person i knew that got hurt in that tsunami and believe me i was worried and most of all shocked.

Really really glad to hear that you are ok and probably the same goes for the rest of the DB members. ;)

Take care

Shane

I'm so glad that you are both back home!

Best wishes and hope you are better soon.

Lucia

Reactions: Alison
Sorry I dont have much of a story I'm afraid, all I rebember was a loud noise similar to an out of tune radio, then an almighty crash and the next thing was a fishing boat coming through the wall and hitting me in the chest; then the room filled up with water, I remember panicing and being pulled by the arm by Colin before, after some time we were dragged back out down the beach by the water. Apparantly I got knocked out then, Colin tied himself to me and we were fortunate enough to come though it, I have absolutely no recolection of the wave or being picked up. We didnt really find out what had happened untill we got back to London.
Thankfully we missed most of the horror we have seen on the television. Finding it difficult to come to terms with this.

Man i've just been denied giving you Rep Power. I think you deserve as much as you can get

Papasmurf please help the cause ;)

My field is Counselling. Go and speak to a professional about this as soon as possible. Britain has a good health care system, so no excuses Ali. Critical Incident Debriefing is used for a quick response to a traumatic incident: Cops, Firefighters, Military personnel who see or do things nobody should have to see or do are often clients. There is empirical evidence that it reduces ongoing emotional trauma (nightmares, flashbacks, physical side-effects etc) and negative response if implimented ASAP.
It can't hurt, and the sooner the better.
warmly,
Erik Y.

I've been sitting here with a blank stare, trying to think of what to say after something like this. So rather than try to say the warm comforting thing, I'll just state first reaction: WAY TO GO COLIN!!! In that situation, it wouldn't be enough to be brave, you needed to be smart. Well done, sir.

Wishing you both a swift and thorough catharsis.

Ted

Now that's a honeymoon to remember, right?
Glad that you made it.

And way to go Colin! :martial :king

Happy to hear that you are back alive and hopefully ready for future dives!

Cheers,

Roberto

A really incredible story! And Alison, you obviously married the right guy!
Welcome back both of you!

Adrian

Adrian said:
A really incredible story!
What is an unbeliveable story, is, I emailed Sarah (Island Sands) a couple of days before we got married (Christmas eve) and asked her to send us a wave as we were only just across the water! She says she forgot???
OK its not really funny but its a thought that has kept me sane this last week.

Thanks everyone for all your messages, they made me us smile, Colin says he only hung onto me because he hadnt taken out a life insurance policy on me! Oh I do hope his arm and legs give him grief! We've only met 2 people of this site but you all feel like such good freinds, thank you all so much.
X

When I heard the news report that mentioned the Maldives, my first response was "Oh, no! Sands!" Then she reported in and the following report talked about Sri Lankha. I have to admit that I didn't sleep well that night and hung onto my monitor for the entire next day picking up each report from your brother-in-law until you two were reported battered but safe. Phew! All present and accounted for, thank God. At least DB came through relatively unscathed. Now the world has to deal with the parts that didn't! Welcome home, Ali, we were sweating bullets for a bit there.

Glad to hear you guys are on the mend. I pray you get well soon and make a full recovery, both physical and mental. You guys have been through a lot.
Hang in there and God bless,
Stitch

Alison

We didn't wave... Gavin and I dive bombed off the jetty!

*sorry* shouldn't make jokes. :rcard

hello missus... thanks also for the pm/emails etc. It's good to see you didn't lose your sense of humour in spite of your ordeal. Lucky also you had a strong headed man with you who thought quickly!

We keep thinking of you and sending you happy telepathic thoughts... keep taking the feel good drugs they give you and get lots of rest sweetie.

Stay in touch when possible. Let us know if there is any special or particular person/agency out in Sri Lanka who assisted you and Colin, where we could send donations to or help in anyway.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT